Where and What. . . IS THE EVIDENCE for "Mental ILLNESS"? ? ?

by Terry 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    I have a young friend who is schizophrenic and is on meds. He approaches it like a person shopping for apples, this one feels better than that one. I did research on this "chemical imbalance" business. Generally speaking the pills they use do NOT balance anything. They are merely a symphony of tranquilizers. It is all about suppressing thought rather than adjusting chemical balance. I was disgusted to learn of the side effects. One drug lost a class action suit for causing diabetes. The company lost a billion dollars and they STILL prescribed it with a warning. UGH.
  • talesin
    talesin

Oh my~! Well, he has an opinion, and not much else. It's true that people in our western society overmedicates and take anti-depressants when in reality, most of them need time or therapy.

To assert that bipolarism or schizophrenia can be helped with no durgs is INSANE. I have two friends who deal with schizophrenia without drugs (because of the side effects), but their cases are very mild.

Bipolarism has taken the lives of 5 people I know, one of them was a member here, Oompa. It's a dangerous illness, and no one should ever recommend 'no meds' for this dis-ease.

Many doctors are drug pushers, indiscriminately 'diagnosing' people in their rush to make a buck from each office visit (I mean, it only takes 30 seconds to write a 'scrip, right?). Far too many people are taking SSRIs, Xanax (imagine - some idiot GP doctor diagnosed my friend as bipolar, and put her on XANAX? WTF?), and even PPIs. People want to pop a pill instead of changing their diets, taking a walk, etc.

Having said that, Rx drugs are necessary for many chronic illnesses, such as Juvenile Diabetes (Type 1), hypo-thyroidism, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here's a fact. This guy claims to "know the truth" about Robin Williams, Bill Cosby, the Dalai Lama, David Letterman, the Euro, Rape Culture, etc. He's an internet blowhard. And that is just my opinion. xx

• talesin
    talesin

Wasanelder - "A symphony of tranquilzers" - so true. SMDH

My pet peeve atm is this recent explosion of diabetic medications, which is so UNNECESSARY. Diet and exercise are the culprits behind type 2 diabetes. I don't understand why anyone would rather take a pill? It's nuts.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Stephen Molyneux does make some valid points about the over use of legal prescribed drugs by the medical health profession but brought some weakly derived observations from a biased unprofessional opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit