Conventions that are out of touch with reality

by Captain Schmideo2 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

Watching the news from the past few nights, I have come to the conclusion that the only convention that's crazier and more out of touch with reality than a JW convention is a US Political Convention.

The strange-O show that is going on right now in Cleveland, OH makes watching a bunker video look more sober and realistic by comparison.

I have made the effort to do my civic duties as a voter, but these conventions require a devotion that is fanatical.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

"...these conventions require a devotion that is fanatical."

The JW conventions are intended to whip up fanatical devotion to the borg also, the difference is that whilst at the convention JWs show their fanaticism on the inside then go home and shun the crap out of any who are not as fanatical as them. I'd guess that most that go these political conventions are fanatical whilst there, then, go home and are normal people again.

Either way aren't all conventions intended to do the same thing - whip people into a frenzy of blind devotion however they go about it?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Schmideo - "Conventions that are out of touch with reality"...

...in other words, simply, "conventions"... :smirk:

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Well that would fit with a CULT right?

Should be no surprise especial since we are in the 2nd century of "fake kingdom rule"

As Princess Leia once said to an evil dictator...

The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems (Publishers) will slip through your fingers

• millie210
    millie210

Funny that you would say that Captain S!

I was watching PBS coverage of the convention the other night and my thought was how very similar they are rather than how different.

A bunch of people gathered togeher in a building repeating an ideology and using the energy that all that generates to convince themselves of it.

All seems very similar to me.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I gotta say though, those Trump-ettes are a force to be reckoned with.

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

One big difference is the restraint that the JW's exercise in the assembly. Sure there is a lot applause at the weirdest, meanest, and dumbest things, but you don't get the shouting, the chanting, the interactivity that the politicos get to engage in.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

There isn't shouting and chanting, because it doesn't fit with the Watchtower's concept of itself, but if the Watchtower wanted shouting and chanting, there would be shouting and chanting.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Not my place to criticize U S politics..but the dub conventions get less and less divorced from reality.

Rral experiences and locally performed demos now replaced by American's on video screens. They seem a world away from what it is like in England. Dreamy views of. The New World do not resonate with the dubs who can express an opinion to me - the family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit