Newest Glitch

by Village Idiot 5 Replies latest forum tech-support

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

My commentary box is not coming up on some threads. On others it's fine.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Likewise, Village Idiot, for me -- on again, off again.

I have two old laptops -- a DELL and an Apple PowerBook. The Dell, which readily updates, is fine here, but the Apple, which WILL NOT upgrade, allows only reading on this forum, i.e., no replies, no photos, no members only.

On my Apple, it's frustrating because more and more websites are not permitting interaction and are displaying text only. Facebook's a nightmare.

So, in my case, I believe it's my computers.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Coco, I wouldn't blame your laptop. Simon mentioned that he was doing stuff with the program. It probably affects different computers or browsers differently. As of now, I sometimes have it happen but it rectifies itself after just one refresh. I'm using IE and Firefox.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Village Idiot, for your response.

Your point is well taken.

When Simon went to https:, the Apple immediately went basic, as described. He explained to me the possible reasons. The DELL has never ceased functioning properly on any and all websites.

RE: Facebook: iPhoto on Apple is terrific, but as of yesterday, I can no longer post photos from it onto Facebook. So, I have to email photos to my DELL and download them there. Then, I can post them here, FB, anywhere. And the DELL is, by far, the cheaper of the two computers.

Sorry to go off track here. Hope it all works out for you.

• Simon
    Simon

I think you might be talking about multiple issues.

I've made quite a few updates to the site over the last week or so. Most of them go unnoticed which is the ideal scenario (if it's something non-UI related) but occasionally there are problems, sometimes with files being cached between requests. One page may reference one script that doesn't work with another, because one page still has some other pieces cached. A full, hard page refresh usually fixes issues like that by forcing the browser to get and use the latest script versions.

http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/home/

The issues with an older mac and SSL are something else. If you have an older device then at some point it's going to stop working. Newer encryption protocols are rolled out and older ones deprecated. It gets to a point where it can't speak the language anymore. Expect more and more things to use SSL in future.

Also changing is support in web frameworks and libraries. Again, at some point support for older browsers which don't have the platform features the frameworks make use of, has to be dropped. I support what I can but it really does become exponentially harder to support older browsers at the same time as the number of visitors using them dwindles close to zero. It has to be noted that many of the big companies like Apple, Microsoft and Google stop supporting older browsers with some of their properties and they have way more resources than I do.

The web is going through a bit of a seismic shift right now in how web apps are developed and also the technologies used to serve them (things like WebComponents and http/2). Some of the updates are to take advantage of these to speed things up and also lay the foundation for new features to be developed in future.

Apologies if you are impacted by any of the updates. The best solution is to first try a refresh, then just wait a while as I might be in the middle of doing an update and dealing with unexpected issues and finally install whatever system updates you can or look to switch to a newer browser. You should generally expect Chrome to work best.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Simon, for a comprehensive explanation that even I could understand (for the most part). I'm doing research on SSL now.

The Apple laptop uses an outdated version of Safari that, as already stated, will not upgrade, although progressively more websites tell me my ability to "do business thereon" will be hampered. Yes, it is mightily hampered. Well, they don't say hampered, but that's the idea.

I use Chrome on my DELL and, apart from the occasional "unresponsive" alert, it is great.

Thanks again for all you and Angharad do, Simon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit