UK Charity Comission Contacted Me Re Speke Congregation Of Jehovah's Witnesses

by pale.emperor 8 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Hi guys,

Following on from my earlier threat about huge amounts of money simply vanishing from my old congregations bank account with nothing to show for it (here: https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5742472565096448/satisfying-decline-my-old-congregations-donations) - i actually did take someones advice and requested the UK Charity Commission to investigate. I was called today by a person who is not investigating this. He's asked me if there's any documents i can find stating that Bethel are requesting funds from the congregation to fund their building project(s).

I know JW Survey had a typed out letter which stated not to be read out to congregation but i was hoping someone here would have a link or scan of the letter the elders would have received so i can forward this on?

He did seem surprised that money was vanishing and the congregation itself had nothing to show for it.

This may be a waste of my time but if i can cause a little stir in the congregation i will.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Atlantis normally posts all the BOE letters that come through - it's a lot to look through but this might get you started:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/users/15734/Atlantis/topics

Or you might contact him directly, he may have a way of finding it quicker.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Thanks Joe

Forgot to mention, apparently because they have an income of less that £25,000 a year they dont have to report their outgoings in great detail. Has anyone heard of this little clause before?

• Wakanda
    Wakanda

PE,

Maybe this will help:

http://jwsurvey.org/cedars-blog/governing-body-instructs-congregations-to-pledge-fixed-monthly-donations

or the pdf of the letter from avoidjw.com:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwqmWMK7dwtlcjNMdGJYbkZMdVk/view

Don't know about the clause. I'm in the states.

Thank you for your efforts!!!

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Following on from my earlier threat about huge amounts of money simply vanishing from my old congregations bank account with nothing to show for it

The first issue is: did they knowingly overpay for a service? For example pay £90,000 for a 100 new chairs.

That would not be right, and would need to be looked at by the Charity Commission.

He's asked me if there's any documents i can find stating that Bethel are requesting funds from the congregation to fund their building project(s).

I'm not really sure how this relates?

The second issue is: did they pass on any monies to any body or organisation against the rules of the 'Congregation Charity'?

The Charity Trustess and Volunteers of the Speke Congregation of JWs adopted a Memorandum of Constitution (also known as the 'Model Constitution' or 'The Constitution') on Thursday 29 May 1997.

That Constitution states, in section 4: (I've bolded the relevant section)

4. THE BODY OF ELDERS has all necessary lawful powers to promote the Purposes of the Congregation and to do anything incidental to those Purposes and without prejudice to the generality of such powers can on behalf and for the benefit of the Congregation:

4.1 accumulate in the name of the Congregation (for so long as the law from time to time allows) funds for the Purposes of the Congregation

4.2 make donations or loans (with or without liability for the borrower to pay inter-est at such fixed or variable rates as the Congregation may approve) out of such funds as may from time to time be determined by Congregation Decision:

4.2.1 to the general funds of the Society or to any special fund maintained by the Society

4.2.2 to the general funds of the Circuit

4.2.3 to the general or any special funds of any other Duly Constituted Congregation

4.2.4 for other charitable purposes including the relief of Congregation Members who are in conditions of need hardship or distress

Date of adoption by Speke Congregation (click on 'Documents' tab): http://beta.charitycommission.gov.uk/charity-details/?regid=1065195&subid=0

PDF of standard constitution: https://jwleaks.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/london-mill-hill-congregation-of-jehovahs-witnesses-constitution-1997.pdf

Therefore they are allowed to - by passing a 'Congregation Decision' (ie a resolution) - donate monies to both the 'Society', or any other individual 'Congregation', as they want.

As Trustees, the congregation elders would need to make sure that any monies donated would not adversely effect the running of their own congregation's charity - ie they have some remaining capital and they can budget having a regular monthly income through donations from the charitiies volunteers.

Remember also that the congregation trustees have been told by the 'Society' that the costs for any major works or expenditure would be paid for by the 'Society' directly, so the local trustees only need to be concerned with running costs and the costs of any minor works.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Pale Emperor, the limit before full accounts are needed has been in existence for years, from my looks at the Charity Commissions listing of Congregations is that they are under the limit and so submit brief accounts. There may be congregations with income in excess of £2k a month but none I know of. The funds reported to the CC do not include money received for the Worldwide Work or any box or scheme that moves money to London. A congregation could receive a million pounds given to it as agent of the WT, Worldwide Work, bethel project or whatever, technically it never the congregations money so not counted. I think that should Change and I am going to write to CC to make that point. In business the tax people HMRC allow small firms to report basic accounts summary under a ceiling, this to help small businesses. Charity Commission allowance is for small local charities that only raise small funds. Churches, CofE for example, all parishes individually report to CC in the same way JW Congregations do. What CC should take note of is that whereas CoE and Roman Catholic parishes are truly independant, JW congregations are linked by the 1997 constitution and in effect are child charities of the WT.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Thanks guys. I found eventually found the letter on AvoidJW.org. (UK letter: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwqmWMK7dwtlcjNMdGJYbkZMdVk/view)

I sent this email when i sent it on:

Dear _________

Thank you for calling earlier. As mentioned in our telephone conversation, attached is a copy of the body of elders letter which was emailed to all congregations in the UK.

The letter makes reference to the need to build more Kingdom Halls, but right before this letter was read we were shown a video of plans to build a new headquarters in Chelmsford and that they’d need money to do this.

The Watchtower Society used to loan money to congregations in order to build new Kingdom Halls. According to the letter, “Congregation and Assembly Halls will no longer be asked to repay a loan.” However, in the elders-only part of the letter, congregations are instructed that their new monthly pledge must be “at least the same amount as the current monthly loan repayment” for congregations repaying loans for building work.

In other words, if any congregations are paying off a kingdom hall build or refurbishment, the loan repayments must now effectively continue indefinitely. If a congregation isn’t already making loan repayments, then they request that a confidential survey is to be taken by passing out slips of paper to determine how much local brothers are willing to pledge. I actually remember this happening in the congregation. I did wonder why we were being asked to write how much we could afford to donate on a regular basis.

The idea that congregations should become perpetually indebted to the Watchtower society in this manner by means of a monthly pledge, which they are being ordered to agree to within a four-week window is rather worrying.

I hope this letter helps you in your investigation.

[my name]

Like i said. If it comes to naught im not bothered, i just want them to be scrutinized and let the investigating officer see the crazy cultishness of their letters. What kind of religion has parts of a letter NOT to be read to the congregation?

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

In view of my earlier post, your email to the CC doesn't really make sense. Though I'm sure they'll reply 'tactfully' to you.

Unfortuately, the one obvious misleading statement you make is trying to use 'must' rather than 'likely':

congregations are instructed that their new monthly pledge must be “at least the same amount as the current monthly loan repayment” for congregations repaying loans for building work.

Actual quote:

The elders in congregations currently making loan repayments would likely propose a resolution that is at least the same amount as the current monthly loan repayment, keeping in mind that donations will no longer be received from the "Kingdom Hall Construction Worldwide" contribution box.

I'm just the messenger - but I don't think the above, unfortunately, does the case any real favours.

But hopefully the CC will reply tactfully to you, just as I tactfully pointed out the £40,000 mathematical 'typo' in your origial OP

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

any update, reply or acknowledgement?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit