This is not even close to the cult I grew up in

by phoenixrising 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising

I was watching some of the May JW cult broadcast. This push to be a movie studio and other things makes this cult seem like something else entirely from what I grew up in. They really are trying to use anything they can to hook suckers into being cult members.

• sir82
    sir82
    They really are trying to use anything they can to hook suckers into being cult members.

Well, there's something that hasn't changed!

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Cults whitewash themselves with flashy things. And that is how they hook up people. Inside its all rotten garbage.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

They had to re-brand with the Blue logo etc. in an attempt to attract new suckers, as they had a real hole in the bottom of the bucket. How well it has worked I am not sure, not so well with retention as they hoped I would guess.

As you say phoenixrising, not the Cult we knew and loved LOL. I was born-in during the early 1950's, some of the old time JW's I knew from that time would have been appalled ! Dancing in the K.H ? Idolatry of the G.B, something my father hated with the adoration of Knorr etc. and many other modern innovations.

What they will do next to market themselves if T.V etc doesn't bring in the converts, and after they have sold all the K.Hs they can, is hard to predict. Cash Flow may become a problem.

• Half banana
    Half banana

True things never need to change -- but businesses have to, to meet prevailing market conditions. In all fairness even if there was such a thing as "God's organisation" it would have to change as culture changes but it would not change doctrines would it?

Since the Watchtower is market led and not by God, it has had to rebrand and use new methods and especially electronic media for keeping up subscriber numbers.

So is the new fangled film and TV media expenditure working? Alas, in the Western World it is not.

With all the hype of the imminence of "the end" the number of Witnesses in the developed world is not increasing it has levelled off at zero increase with a prospect of seeing decline in the near future.

Only where people are desperately poor or uneducated and without the internet does the JW faise kingdom promise bring forth new converts. It is worth remembering that these poor and those from unstable war-torn lands are not financial contributors to the WT, they are a drain, a fact no doubt weighing heavily on the minds of the GB.

Their response has been to beg for money from the rank and file -- and (yes Phizzy) to sell off the family silver so to speak i.e. realise the capital in the kingdom halls which were taken away unceremoniously from the individual congregations and which are now being turned into cash to keep the cult going.

• Half banana
    Half banana

sp false kingdom promise

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Phizzy - "Cash flow may become a problem."

Pretty sure it already is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit