How did you feel when you got baptized?

by Schnufti 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Funny thing is I got baptized do to girls. You're considered an add man out if your not baptized, so to be able to date and to be part of the group one had to get baptized so that's what I did. Spiritual I felt nothing , in fact I didn't feel spiritual until after I woke and and thought I Knew what it was to be in Christ a true Christian. That didn't last long as I did further research on the Bible.

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

I remember well. It was 1989. I felt so happy. For the next two hours I couldn't have been happier. But in about 2 months, the then PO asked me one day as I was stepping into the Hall, Do you think "once saved always saved"? I looked at him like huh? I asked what he meant and he said my service time was low (only on Saturdays. I worked full time M-F). He berated me and I thought it was mostly good.

Boy have I learned from a lot since then.

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

I was baptised at 14 and I don't remember much about it other than I didn't feel any different. Which kind of surprised me at the time because I guess I expected to feel something different. I never really admitted that to anyone or thought about it much as I assumed it was just something wrong with me. Another little niggle I suppressed and buried....

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

I felt like a kid who did what was expected and made his family happy. I was too young to really understand anything past that.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Our child was baptized several years ago. Upon coming up from the water, there was a distinct look of shocked confusion upon his/her face. I mentioned this to him/her last year, and received the reply "You noticed that?"

Yes, he/she was expecting some superpower to land, and to miraculously change his/her life.

Nope.

(I remember noticing no difference at my own baptism, but also was not expecting the same level of miracle effect.)

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

It was November, 3 months after Woodstock, I shivered. I was a month shy of being 10 years old. That is what I remember.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SCHNUFTI:

I was in my 20s....When I think about it, I got baptized because of peer pressure from people in the hall. I don't honestly think I was 100% convinced. Oh well...

The actual baptism itself in the pool wasn't such a big deal after I got myself dried off. Somebody had a gathering afterwards for all the newly baptized people..I was still in the "lovebombing" phase and people were nice.

I will never know what my life would have been like if I never got involved with JWs and took the other fork in the road. While I do not hate individual JWs, I'm glad to be out of this high-control group.

• Zyron
    Zyron

Baptised at 14. Expected to feel something different but felt nothing. Even then I had lots of doubts but family and peer pressure made me. Plus made to feel out of the 'club' if you weren't baptised.

Made sure my kids didn't get baptised. If they want to as adults at least they'll know what they're in for.

• HbgDude
    HbgDude

I got baptized at the "Lovers of freedom" convention. Whatever year that was.

After that, I immediately felt the freedom to scope out hot looking, single older sisters for potential mates. At one point I was talking to 4 sisters at a time.

• carla
    carla

"maybe even with a binocular" - do any of you find that a bit creepy? or is it just me?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit