How did you feel when you got baptized?

by Schnufti 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Yes I felt different, I was now wet.

no & never expected before that I would be any different.

I only got baptised because of pressure from my uncle, as I would have to move out if I was not baptised.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I felt relieved because I had "done the right thing" which was expected of me....

I also felt like I must have been lacking something, because others said they felt overwhelming euphoria as they came out of the water, and yet I just felt wet.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I had thought I was "pleasing Jehovah", not to mention my parents, but most important the new girl in the KHall that I thought was "hot". (Of course, I wasn't old enough to know what I was supposed to do with the "hot" chick if she reciprocated the interest. Hadn't even discovered the joys of "self-abuse" yet.)

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Were you happy when you got baptized? Did you feel particularly "close to Jehovah"? Or did you want to stand up and hide in the toilet like me?

No, no and absolutely no.

First, my baptism was a joke. It was coerced. Second, when I was given the questions (do they still do that?) it was very obvious to the elder that I didn't know, nor cared about anything. However, all they knew is that I am gay and therefore their baptizing me was their magic cure to their problem with me being gay.

I took it so seriously that I was just looking at the naked other brothers who baptized with me in the changing room.

I'm not exactly the "hiding in the toilet" type. Looking back, I was in my early teens, it's so obvious that both my father and people in the congregation just wanted me to baptize as a way of keeping me in line. By now they all know that it didn't pan out as they planned.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It was no big deal, even though I did it at a Grand Boasting Session that had special significance (to make it harder for Brother Hounder, I will not divulge the details). That trip was the bigger deal. And no, I did not feel anything special during the hours and days following this big mistake. Just the burden of being expected to go out in field circus, be responsible for the whole territory, and to live up to joke-hova's agenda to take away true personality and give us a completely drab and gray one to replace it.

• AnonVet
    AnonVet

I felt the same as before.

What I don't understand is this: I've been to a few JW weddings, and when the bride or groom gives that speech, they quite often say, "This is the best day of my life... well... the second best day. I have to remember my baptism." And I'm thinking, "oookay... definitely not a highlighted day in my life".

Really? Best day of your life? For real?

• AnonVet
    AnonVet

Oh... and the promises from other "brothers and sisters" that Satan would attack you in some form after your baptism. Well, I waited, and waited. Nothing. No attack that I thought would come.

Yet, still, I hear ones get baptized and then weeks later, "Satan must have been mad because he (insert ridiculous action here)."

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

It was Sept. 12, 1970 at St. Pet. FL high school. I was 16 years old when I got baptized. It was 90 degrees outside and they baptized us in water that was so hot it turned my skin bright red. When people ask if I felt different I ask them was they trying to baptize us or cook us? So instead of being baptized in fire I was baptized in hot water. LOL. Still Totally ADD

• OUTLAW
  • RubaDub
    RubaDub

Wet.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit