Witnesses Shouting in the City Streets ...

by dedalus 8 Replies latest jw friends

• dedalus
    dedalus

... except it quickly developed that they weren't Witnesses at all.

Weekends I sometimes work at a television station in downtown Hartford, CT. Depressed urban area, Starbucks and Subways and McDonalds scattered like dirty coins beneath towering insurance buildings. Anyway, on my breakfast break I left the station, walked down to the convention center, and across the street from Wendy's I saw two young men who, at a glance, strongly resembled Witnesses or Mormons -- they were wearing the cookie-cutter JC Penney poly-synthetic-discount-clearance suits, and held large leather bibles in their hands. One had a dark, cropped, curly beard. The other was clean-shaven and bashful-looking, until it was his turn to yell, and then he morphed into a scarlet-faced zealot. They were white and frail, but they were yelling, shaping the bibles into miniature megaphones, filling the space with their sound.

"Do you know how to attain the kingdom of heaven? Will you save yourself from the blood of the holy slaughtered almighty vindicated lamb of the flock of the one who holds the glorious gory sword of the something something? Will you be redeemed and caught forth from the blood doom death fire annihilation destruction obliteration and be taken into the hot blinding radiant light of the almighty et cetera!" (Why is it that being saved is always as violent an act as being exterminated?)

Of course, with the heavy soughing exhaust of buses and the mad shuffles of passersby, I can only approximate the vociferous speech bellowed by these two emaciated men, these tiny eunuchs with booming voices.

"Shut the fuck up, shut the fuck up!" someone yelled. He crossed the street, one pointing finger indignantly extended, pointing and wagging. There was going to be a scene.

As I was leaving -- somehow too self-conscious to stand around and watch with a gathering mob hoping for the violence of the moment to gather momentum, escalate, burst -- it occurred to me that I hadn't seen Witnesses on the streets of Hartford in about seven years, and that, the last time I did see Witnesses, they were an old, depressed couple bundled up in tattered scarves and overcoats, holding forth dog-eared Watchtowers against the wind as they randomly scuttled a maze of cramped city avenues.

A study in contrasts. Witnesses are quiet, unassuming, and subtle in their ministry, but they proliferate through cities and suburbs like small termites through soft wood. These two Jesus freaks -- what religion/sect/cult might they be representing, anyway? -- were loud, rabid, invested with a force so obviously deranged and detached from society, it was difficult to imagine their purpose was the conversion of the masses for salvation. It was a vigorous assault.

Or maybe it only appears to be a study in contrasts. Why, after all, did these vitriolic street preachers instantly remind me of Witnesses? Why did I feel, vaguely but earnestly, that I could identify with these people?

Dedalus

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Why, after all, did these vitriolic street preachers instantly remind me of Witnesses? Why did I feel, vaguely but earnestly, that I could identify with these people?

'Cuz you're out of practice?

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

I enjoyed that. You express yourself well.

Jamest

• dedalus
    dedalus

I was inviting anyone to share observations of wacky street preachers or other fringe evangelizing groups. I was also curious if anyone knew what church the two goons I saw might belong to.

If Minimus had distilled my thread into one of his pithy questions, would there have been more of response?

Dedalus

• Ghost of Esmeralda
    Ghost of Esmeralda

Hi there Dedalus,

Just discovered this thread, been busy this weekend...

Ah, the days of streetcorner work. I always hated approaching people to preach to them, period, but at least if we were on a public street, and not their porch, I felt I had some valid right to be there.

I was always quick, to the point...they knew who I was, I knew they weren't interested lol and I never tried to hold onto them. I knew I was fighting a losing battle.

We really don't have many outdoor/street preachers here. Maybe it's cause the weather is too cold most of the year lol. Many churches have taken to sending fliers in the mail, and they always aggrivate me somehow, when I find them in with the other junk mail.

I wish I had something of value to offer in the way of insight, I'm particularly brain fried tonight (I know, my usual excuse lol)

I often wonder why some threads get more of a response, and other's don't. I'm surprised about this one...you are such a gifted writer, I can only hope that one day I'll be able to turn a phrase as stylishly as you.

hugs

essie

• dedalus
    dedalus

Thanks, Es. I think I'm bringing some baggage to the board lately. I don't know what I expect from this place lately, and I think I fit in less and less here.

Hope you had a terrific mother's day! Foxy and I went downed a bottle of wine in a trendy restaurant then saw a funny little film in a little independent theater. Life off the board is great, and that's what really matters!

Hugs back at you!

Dedalus

• NewSense
    NewSense

Dedalus:

It's a great pleasure to finally meet a fellow resident of Connecticut on this board. I am presently living in Asia (in a heavily SARS infected area) but I was born in New Britain, Connecticut the (former?) machine capitol of the world. I grew up in West Hartford. My sister and brother-in-law now live in East hartford with their two children. I attended the University of Connecticut in Snores (excuse me, Storrs). I planned to return home for a visit this summer, but with the SARS epidemic raging here, I think that I will have to postpone and come home in the winter. Anyway, like I said, it was a pleasure meeting someone from Connecticut.

• onacruse
    onacruse

ded:

I think I'm bringing some baggage to the board lately. I don't know what I expect from this place lately, and I think I fit in less and less here.

Well, join the crowd, eh? Honestly, I think that anyone who comes to this forum and asserts they don't have baggage of one kind or another is just fooling themselves. Sometimes I think we're almost desparate to deny that we have baggage, as a sort of compensation reaction to bolster our self-worth after leaving what we now see, in retrospect, was a down-right destructive religion.

I've had some few interactions with street-preachers, and more often than not they were unaffiliated born-againers, or perhaps had started their own little church that met in their own home. There were at least 4 such "operations" in my own neighborhood, including one sponsored by a fellow that spun off from the Bible Students.

As far as "fitting in here," I hope you take me out and shoot me if I start to "fit in" here, or, for that matter, anywhere else. I'm not a peg looking for some hole to be put back into.

Craig

• SYN
    SYN

That was pretty funny, Dedalus.

You should've been tipped off by the beards, though

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit