Research Opportunity

by researchstudentsophie 7 Replies latest jw friends

• researchstudentsophie
    researchstudentsophie

Hello. My name is Sophie Mueller, and I’m currently in the class AP Research. The aim of AP Research is to have students enter into an academic conversation that exists about a specific topic or issue. For my research project, I have chosen to evaluate the social stress levels, or sense of belonging, within members of the Jehovah’s Witnesses community, due to my personal background with the religion.

The following attachment will help me collect data for my research. If you are willing and able, please complete the background questionnaire and survey. It will only take approximately 10-15 minutes.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

https://goo.gl/forms/yaqq8MfZbOADL63m1

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

You mention that you want to study Jehovah's Witnesses, and your research sounds interesting. Just know that most of the community here are not Jehovah's Witnesses, many grew up in the faith or joined later in life but then left, so they don't go to services or door-to-door, and often haven't for years if not decades. You might want to try jwtalk.net, that's a community of current Jehovah's Witnesses. I doubt the moderators would let you post something like this, but you should go for it. Good luck in your work.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

A member-in-good-standing inside Jehovah's Witnesses organization is certainly
    not at liberty to voice any angst, stress, or criticism of any sort.
    Why? There is no individuality and the fear of "bringing reproach" is horrifying.
    I speak as a former member from association beginning at age 12 in 1959, baptized in 1963, imprisoned in 1967 (conscientious objector), paroled in 1969, a full-time pioneer (door to door ministry for one year and a half) and disfellowshipped in 1980.

The corollary of this is obvious, of course--a former member would hardly be a former member unless considerable stress, disappointment, heartbreak, and anger issues had brought about such a reversal.

Consequently, between the cone of silence on one end and complete antipathy on the other end--a researcher won't be able to find a middle ground to calibrate what "normal" would look like.

I wish you well, by the way
    Terry Walstrom
    [email protected]

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

You write:

"Because this sect exhibits mental illness 16 times more than the general population, it is important to find a solution, in order to raise awareness and help people."

Where I can find this information and is it science-based?

• unsure
    unsure

Hello,

Welcome to the forums.

• zeb
    zeb

fastjehu said;

"Because this sect exhibits mental illness 16 times more than the general population, it is important to find a solution, in order to raise awareness and help people."

Where I can find this information and is it science-based?

and he said it for me as well.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Survey completed.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3
    researchstudentsophie

Welcome r s s ,, I took the survey , I hope you find what your looking for and that this survey gives you the opportunity to advance your studies and leads you on to even better things in life .

If you ever want to share past experiences about the JW religion this is the place to be just dont divulge anything that might identify you if you want to remain under the radar ,

Take care .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit