Origin of Life

by cofty 405 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mephis
    Mephis
    Does 'the breath of life' actually need to come from God? You're right, there's absurdities in there, but they've shuffle room. 'God's creation made life therefore it's still coming from God'. That kind of nonsense. 'When a baby is born, God doesn't breathe life into each and very baby...;. 'It's a metaphor...;.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

So you worked backward from your understanding of JW teaching on "spirit" and assumed this meant they would object theologically to the possibility of scientists creating life?

Except you forgot to check if the WT actually teaches that scientists will never be able create life on theological grounds. Well the WT does not object to scientists creating life, in fact it says they may well do so. So the thread is based on a false premise.

Maybe it's true that other Christian creationists claim that scientists will never be able to create life because only God can do that. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case, but JWs don't teach that.

• cofty
    cofty
    So you worked backward from your understanding of JW teaching on "spirit"

It's not my understanding. I conducted enough bible studies in that book to know what they taught about spirit.

The spirit of life comes from god alone.

SBF - The amount of energy and time you have put in to try to destroy this thread using every dishonest tactic is an utter disgrace.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I've not destroyed anything. You asked how theists would respond if scientists succeed in creating life. You were apparently unaware that WT literature has answered this question directly.

If scientists ever did construct a cell, they would accomplish something truly amazing-but would they prove that the cell could be made by accident? If anything they would prove the very opposite, would they not?

You apparently misunderstood JW teaching as meaning there is a theological barrier to scientists ever creating life from non-living matter. In fact WT literature says scientists may well succeed, but they argue that would be different from life arising by itself.

You're welcome.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Unstoppable force meets immovable object.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

in comparing the life force to electricity Jehovahs witnesses are saying that it is nothing special. I actually remember teaching this point. All that happens at death is that the future life prospects of the individual are in God's hands (this is what the spirit itself returns to God means according to JWs.- no intangible spirit travels to God.

witnesses have always been very scientific on this point.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

slimboyfat - all you have destroyed is passive agreement with cofty's line of reasoning which is often supported by a large dose of crafty chinese whispers

• prologos
    prologos
    Ruby456: " all that happens at death is that the future life prospects of the individual are in God's hands (this is what the spirit itself returns to God means according to JWs.- no intangible spirit travels to God.

That of course implies that a force is in the living person, she has to be 'on the grid' so to speak, contingent of approval by the power company, God, paying your bills. And elan viv started the spark of life, and maintains it in wt view. or? thank you for bringing back the memories. Ruby. I was always dismayed at the idea of my slack cord dangling, before the glow of the lamp faded.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

prologos, it amazes me sometimes that witness leaders probably payed quite a lot of attention to the philosophies of the day. and what's all this about your slack chord dangling - goodness I can't stop laughing

as for elan vital - I am still wondering what cofty's views are on this beyond saying there is no elan vital. in reply I suggest supple adaptation - any takers?

• prologos
    prologos
    Ruby: "--what views are on this beyond saying there is no elan vital.

There is something special though about the necessity for an unbroken line all the way back to the first spark. how is this pssed on in living organism? -- through a special code in the 4 letters dna message? As life goes out, it is like a dangling electrical cord that has been pulled ; of course as an aging male, one will have to admit to some slack as a precursor. Tie me kangaroo down mate?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit