Origin of Life

by cofty 405 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    Life on Mars would not rule out the existence of an intelligent god, gods or goddesses - FHN

New life in the lab would make her redundant as a source of life. That would be a huge challenge for theism.

• A Ha
    A Ha
    but even slightly degraded complex once-alive compounds would be better than ground rock and water to have life start again?

Yeah, the conversation was about organic molecules, not living organisms. And when I said oxygen would make them degrade, I meant it would destroy them. They need to reach certain lengths to start replication or one of the other hallmarks of life, and oxygen is so greedy for electrons that it doesn't let them do that.

It's one of the great poetic developments of biochemistry that so much of life now depends on oxygen, which is so toxic.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

Basically he, like many other theists are hoping it will never happen.

.. and here lies the real motive of threads like these. To bicker with and poke at those who don't see things the way you do. They might be hoping for it to not happen, but you as well are wishing for the opposite, so what's the point? It hasn't happened yet, and until it does, they have as much right to doubt it as you do to wish it.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Life on Mars would not rule out the existence of an intelligent god, gods or goddesses - FHN
    New life in the lab would make her redundant as a source of life. That would be a huge challenge for theism.- Cofty

It could mean that homo sapiens are very capable, intelligent beings. Which would just make intelligent god, gods or goddesses, if they are behind homo sapiens, even more impressive. I don't understand how it would make god, gods or goddesses redundant. Sparking new life in a laboratory just proves intelligent beings can spark new life. God, gods or goddesses are simply different kinds of intelligent beings.
  • prologos
    prologos
    A ha: "Yeah, the conversation was about organic molecules, not living organisms

was it not about the transition from dead matter to life? and we have not just mud, but organic, ex-life stuff around. Is life then a question of oxygen management? We have re-created the energy conditions near the big bang, how difficult should it be to get near the beginning of the one and only life?

• Twitch
    Twitch

Well said Sanchy

• atomant
    atomant

Until man can create a walking talking human with a consciousness from scratch, no cheating, l will never ever believe in evolution.

• azor
    azor

Atomant are you a flat earther?

• A Ha
    A Ha
    prologos - was it not about the transition from dead matter to life? and we have not just mud, but organic, ex-life stuff around. Is life then a question of oxygen management?

Ah, yes you did mention restarting life. I don't know what the obstacles are, but I suspect it's a lot more complicated than just oxygen management. I'm a complete lay person in this area, but I suspect a big part of the answer is entropy--if for no other reason than entropy rules all. If anybody asks a science-ey question that you don't know the answer to, just say "entropy" and there's a good chance you'll be right.

• prologos
    prologos
    Ah: "Ah, yes you did mention restarting life.

I believe that any experiment to replicate life would be an attempt to fire it up at the very basic, simple level, like it is thought to have happened in nature, not a restarting, but a new line of fuel and spark. Of course entropy is involved, Life is anti-entropy, it has a high order in it's organism, but creates disorder around it, look at my teenage son's room. life violates the second law of thermodynamics, temporarily. That what it has in common with the original creation event. The early universe had a very low entropy, and so does life, that is why it is ti difficult to do a do it yourself replica? its an creation event?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit