Hello, fairly new, studying for around 7 months, just thought I would introduce myself.

by Conanthebeliever 56 Replies latest jw experiences

• Conanthebeliever
    Conanthebeliever

Hi everyone.

First off-yes, I met them through studying, I never knew them before this, but felt a bond-this may be in my head though.

Although, I believe they are good people at heart, and are being misled.

HBH, yes I understand from reading these are the faithful and discreet slave, and I would love to continue being friends if possible, I have no problem with them, I like them, and really would like to keep the friendship if possible, but I realise this might not be possible, which does sadden me.

Freddo-I know you are not trying to trick or belittle me, I just believe the first landing was a hoax due to the technology they say they used at the time, the perfect launch and landing-and then the Van Allen radiation belts.

It may be where I am younger, and did not experience them for myself I am a bit more disbelieving, but I do know that things can be twisted by the media, so I do not see why things could not be twisted on an even larger scale.

I could obviously be wrong-I was not there, and I only have history to read, some photos, and information to decide on. I believe the later ones were possible due to the fast rise in technology-it may be possible NASA did achieve the first moon landing successfully, I will never know the absolute truth if I am honest.

Well, I think that it was a trick, to make the russians believe that the USA had made the first moon landing. To achieve this-the whole world, apart from the astronauts, and a very select few would know-people working in the mission control room may of even believed it. I know that sounds a bit far out there, and it is, but I do not think (Nearly)anything is beyond possible.

Faye Dunaway- I understand now that they have told me incorrect information. I hope it was mistaken information, as I class them as very nice people. I understand if I got baptized though, things would soon change.

I have been advised to do my own research, but using their material-I did deviate from this though, as I thought I would double check. The thing is, the things they was telling me (that I checked) were checking out-so I thought after a while "They have not lied to me, why would they start too now?".

I am just glad I found out more information today. I feel that I have been saved in a way-and I may also myself look into a traditional Church, or simply read the bible in it's entirety myself.

I will more than likely go for a traditional church-there are a fair few where I live, and I do believe in God and Jesus Christ-I am just now confused, are they two separate individuals, or one and the same?

As I found the verse "Father, why have you forsaken me" confusing enough when I knew/thought they was two different individuals-if they are one and the same, I am even more confused.

Thank you all, and all the best, Conan.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Conan you are such a thoughtful person. Thanks for your response. Yes most traditional churches do believe in the Trinity. But this does not mean that the father and the son are the same person. They are each individual persons. Jesus is not talking to himself when he calls on the Father. Also, witnesses downplay the role of Jesus. He is given much more attention and adoration in the scriptures than he is given in witness literature and culture. The two do not match up. Good luck in your search. Remember to be strong with the witness friends of yours. But also kind. Say you would like to continue to be friends even if you don't keep studying, maybe you won't lose them entirely. And you can still help them if you want to with food or what they may need. Just be strong, don't feel obligated to join their religion. I think you and your fiancée will be MUCH happier long term if you stiop studying with them. Actually I know so! I am very happy that we here are a part of that. You will have avoided so many complicated problems by not pursuing that religion further.
  • Sabin
    Sabin

Hello to you Conan, it is so good of you to join us along with a multitude of other young ones that seem to be joining daily. Please stick around.

• Anon2
    Anon2

Hi Conan, Welcome and thank you for sharing your story. When I read about brain damage, I cringed. Would like to share another story of a brain damaged person studying with a JW.

The person was in a coma for over a year. Her speech is slow and with effort. She has problems with logic, and numerous physical problems. To someone who didn't know her and her life, she appears severely mentally retarded. Most people didn't take the time to listen to her.

A JW woman who knew a relative began visiting her and it led to a Bible study. Very sweet person according to the relative. My knowledge of the story came from taking the disabled woman to the grocery store and places she needed to go, and conversations with the relative.

The victim had no friends, very little family or community support and had constant struggles. Having a friend meant a lot to her. She spoke constantly of her JW friend and said that though she didn't believe a lot that she said, she still liked her and it was worth it to have the study because she was a friend. It sounded like the typical "love bombing" at first. All was well until a Circuit or District Overseer came for a visit to their congregation. The Overseer came along with the JW "friend" to visit the woman with so many challenges.

I found out from the relative that the Overseer had told the JW "friend" to not bother with the study. Among other insulting things, he said, "There is nothing there and you're wasting your time." He outright told her to not study with her.There is actually a lot there but the Overseer was to shallow to see.

A real friend would have spoken up for her. I'd have said a whole lot more if I'd heard his remarks and hope the day comes that I meet that man. Long story short, the JW who was studying with her never returned. It caused a great deal of pain having her only friend stop coming without a word of good bye or a reason.

Each time I went to take the woman shopping or to an appointment she'd tell me how concerned she was about her friend. She just couldn't understand why she'd stop coming and worried that something had happened to her. For a long while she was seriously depressed, wondering why she never came. It was heartbreaking to see her and know, but not be able to tell her why.

I'm glad that hasn't happened to you. This is just a message of concern and a kind of heads up to be prepared. Sometimes a person can't really tell about another until they've invested enough in the relationship to be hurt when they realize the relationship wasn't what they'd thought or hoped it was.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Hi Conan ,

Firstly : Welcome to the board , your brain seems to be functioning alright by me , you are reasoning quite well on what has been presented in the previous posts.

Secondly : Whatever you do don`t get baptized ,it will ruin your life.

Thirdly :It`s true their are many genuinely nice / good people who are J.W.`s , but that fact doesn`t mean they have the " truth" anymore than a Baptist person who is a good caring loving person has the "truth" or a Catholic person who is a good loving caring person has the "truth" or even a Muslim who is a good loving caring person , does not mean they have the "TRUTH" about religion.

If you decide not to continue your studies with your "friend" and he decides you are no longer his friend , then he is the loser not you , he was not worthy of your friendship , if that is the case.

Take care mate ,from Australia.

smiddy

• Conanthebeliever
    Conanthebeliever

Hello everyone. Thank you all for your kind comments.

My brain damage is NOT terrible, I just get confused very easily, and my emotions have been affected. My rational thinking is pretty much still there, as far as I know. You would not know I was brain damaged if I am honest-I was very lucky in the outcome compared to what I could of been like.

Fayedunaway, I am glad to hear that God and Christ are two different individuals (I can't think of a better word, I apologize there). It makes much more sense to me they are different, but very similar, I understand the verse "whoever has seen me has seen the father" means that is due to his qualities-or is this another JW teaching, and it literally means if you was to see the father, he would be the same image of Christ?

And I think I will be sticking around, I quite like it here, everyone is friendly, and giving me lots of information. I am sure I will have questions regarding the bible in the future, and I would love to talk to people here about it.

Anon2, luckily my damage is not as severe as it could've been, it is there but you would not know it. I am very lucky in that respect.

I feel deeply for your friend, she has enough on her plate already, then thought she made a friend, only for this 'friend' to drop her when a overseer had told them not to bother with her anymore.

To me, that is in no way, shape or form a friend.

I am just glad she has you, you seem a true friend to her. I understand it must be awful seeing her upset over her other 'friend' who just dropped her like that though.

Thanks for the heads up, I know it is likely I will lose my friend, but I guess in this case it may be necessary if I do not want an awful life.

Smiddy, thank you, like I say i believe someone was definitely on my side when it occurred on the 23rd April, 2014.

I definitely am not getting baptized, I am trying to find a way to end my study, but in the kindest way possible really.

And you are correct. Everyone who is religious thinks that they have the truth, I guess this is the thing about religion.

And thank you-that actually does make sense-I do not want to do anything inherently wrong, and would like to keep the friendship, but if I do just get dropped, I guess it shows a lot about my friend.

Australia yeah? Where I come from, people in the USA always mistake us for Australians lol. It is our accents-kind of Cockney.

All the best to you all, and speak soon, Conan.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Conan, you seem thoughtful, concerned and bright. If I might suggest something that will allow you to study with your friend. Ask for a straight up study of Jesus, according to Jesus. No literature. Not really formal doctrine or theology. Read the bible and learn what Jesus taught, in context, according to the gospels. Just get a good sense of that without reading into it, hopscotching about prophecies or Paul. Just Jesus of the gospels. It will be good for both of you.
  • Anon2
    Anon2

Conan, thank you so much for your thoughtful and very kind reply to my post. It's so refreshing to see someone genuinely care for others. No, your brain damage certainly isn't obvious at all and your positive and optimistic attitude is something we could all learn from. Wishing you happiness in all you do, and hope you'll keep us informed on how things are going. It would be a very unfortunate person who lost your companionship.

• OutsiderLookingIn
    OutsiderLookingIn

Conan,

You've done well to do your research. And I'm glad to hear the people around you were aware the JWs are a cult. But even then I didn't even know what cult meant beyond legalistic. Add to that, it's hard to find fault because they're so gosh-darned polite. Polite maybe, but that does not make them right.

Re the Trinity, it means God in three persons, not three gods. So the Father and Son are different persons. Jesus is God because he has the same divine nature as the Father. Humans have a different nature subject to hunger, tiredness and decay. The deity of Christ is that He is God in a human body. Jesus knows our struggles because He went through them himself (Hebrews 4:15). Another thing to consider is that the same word is used to describe Jesus and the Father in the Greek manuscripts (kurios, meaning Lord). FYI, many times the NWT masks this situation by inserting "Jehovah" where they want it to mean the Father. Using the same word can't be accidental when the writers were devout Jews; it would be blasphemy if Jesus were merely a lesser god. Which brings up another strange twist of WT doctrine: it's actually polytheistic (the real God and the fake god, Jesus who the apostles served even unto death). Contradictions aplenty.

That's just a short summary; much ink has been spilled on this subject.

• Conanthebeliever
    Conanthebeliever

Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well today and feeling well.

JWdaughter, that may be an idea actually. A straight up study of Jesus, I will tell the truth, I feel it is very important to learn about Jesus, and would like to study this.

The only thing I feel bad about, is potentially using their time, when I know I won't be getting baptised? I feel I am misleading my friend if I do that. I will have to be honest, and say it is unlikely I will get baptised, but I would like to be friends and learn more from the bible.

Anon2-Thank you. I mean that. You are very kind. I did not realise my attitude was something everyone could learn from, that is a very nice thing to say.

I wish you all the happiness possible in life, and everything you do too, and I will definitely keep you, and everyone else updated. :).

Outsiderlooking in-It was a bit of a shock if I am honest, I joined here only 3 days ago to find other witnesses to talk too, but I did have doubts at the back of my mind. After reading JWfacts, and many stories, I feel a bit numb.

I think one of the worst I read was of a woman, who was regularly beaten by her husband. She reported this to elders, to be told it is because she is a "Bad wife.

Eventually, her husband was trying to turn her kids against her, and a neighbour luckily heard her getting beaten badly one night, and quietly gave her a number for help.

She ended up in a women's refuge, with her children, but that was not the end, far from it.

Her children were kidnapped, and hidden by people who were once her friends. The police luckily were aware, and helped her get her children back.

The worst part of it all? After all the torture and torment she went through, people talking about her, supporting her husband, Etc, her husband got off scot free, whilst she got disfellowshipped.

If I am honest, this is one of the stories that hit me hard. To have people you once thought as friends to turn against you, and even hide your children from you, the only people you have left in the world, made me feel just wrong. I don't know what word I can use to describe it, it was a very strange feeling-not exactly cold shivers, just a strange feeling in my stomach and back, as well as my thoughts for the woman who had been through all of that, to lose everything.

OK, I think I am understanding this, so it means god in three persons. Jesus and Jehovah/God ARE two different entities, but because of their qualities, they are so close that they are basically one and the same? I understand the third part of the trinity to be the holy spirit, I do not fully understand that if I am honest, but I am sure I will the more I read.

Yes, Jesus did go through many struggles, and the main one of all was for all humanity. I think this is extremely kind, as he could of said "leave them, why should we save them", but he didn't. This shows me love on a very high level, knowing he would die, go through torture, and the horrors he would experience for US.

I understand that the word Kryious/Kurious (Sorry my spelling may be off there), I was reading that in the greek scriptures/new testament, there is actually no mention of Jehovah, he is referred to as lord, the father, E'Li, and a few other names-but JW's added in the word Jehovah, and this detracts from the importance of Jesus and what he did for us all.

They use a translation of Matthew, that was written in Hebrew, known as the "J" texts, each numbered. The thing is, around the time of Christ and early Christianity, Jehovah seemed to be a word no longer used, so I do not understand why they would use a translation written in hebrew, when there is many more accurate translations, that refer to Jehovah god under different names.

Thank you all for your help, advice, and kindness.

All the best, Conan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit