Hello, fairly new, studying for around 7 months, just thought I would introduce myself.

by Conanthebeliever 56 Replies latest jw experiences

• cha ching
    cha ching

Hi Conan, welcome! Many people here have been in the same position as you are at one time or the other.

I am from the United States, "the land of the free", raised in "the truth", but you know what? I did not have access too the other side of the story... My husband, my kids and I worked hard for this org, building kingdom halls, assembly halls, going door too door, ALL that..

Then, my husband had to testify in a pedophile trial.... The WT did not like that one bit, and bam!!!! He was disfellowshipped, and all of our 20, 30, 40 year friends were gone just like that!

$$$ seems to be what they want all the time, took us a long time to see things for what they were... The internet allows you to look at all the "old light" (as they like to say) & how it changes very CONVENIENT LY, when something doesn't work out for them.

It's nice to have "all the answers" (like the JWs want you to believe) but it just may be even more satisfying to have the REAL answers. So many of us did not plan for retirement because of listening to the WT, and NOW face reality, the WT is no where in sight to help us.

Take care, let us know how it goes!

Cha Ching

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Take it slow Conan and do your research, joining a religion is like dating. When you go out on dates with someone they usually act great and you see only the best side of the person all the flause in the person they don't want you to see it only after you have been with the person a long time even after getting married until the bad side of the person comes out. Would it not be great to see all sides of the person before you committed to them so you new what you we're getting into.

So again do your research, the people your studying with will only present the good side and may not even know about the other side but you can find out so as to make the right decision for you.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Dear Conan

Welcome. I never was a JW. Finding out for yourself is always the best way.

Try going onto youtube and searching 'Australia Royal Commission'. This is an enquiry into institutional abuse. There you will find (I think it's case study 29) jw elders and hierarchy giving evidence, including Jackson of their Governing Body in NY (finally forced to appear after much shenanigans).

These are the people who run the jw org with an iron fist.

Lots of fake smiles in the KH - IMHO you can and will do better elsewhere.

Best wishes.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

hello Conan--i see youre in the UK--same as i am--heres a link to lots of other UK members on here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/197364/ex-jw-uk?page=1&size=20

• Conanthebeliever
    Conanthebeliever

Hi everyone that has replied, I hope you are all OK.

My brain damage luckily has only affected my emotions, memory and to an extent, my decision making. I do still have my faculties and can think for myself-I just get confused quite easily and my mood can change rather rapidly now.

I have not heard of "love bombing", but I guess I would not, but it seems to make sense.

I find it very odd that solid evidence will be labelled 'apostate' and lies from Satan. That is ludicrous. Also that they believe 7 men in new york are directing the worlds only true religion-I have been told so many times of the evil of the Catholic church, as they do not follow god's will, and distort things-but are doing the very same thing themselves.

Slidin fast, thank you for your kind comments. I in no way took anything you said as an insult, thank you for offering places I can make my mind up for myself.

Freddo-the moon landings. Well, it gets a bit into conspiracy theory territory, but if I am honest, I am not sure on the first moon landing. I believe maybe the later landings happened-but not the first.

Cha ching, I find that terrible what happened to you! You lost your friends just like that? I class a true friend as someone who is there for you, while you are for them-and their beliefs or being disfellowshipped should NOT stop that friendship.
    Crazyguy, that is quite a good analogy. I am being shown the good at the moment, I now can research the other side without JW influence, and I am not liking it one bit if I am honest.
    Joe Grundy-I will check that video out, thank you. I also think I will do better elsewhere.
    And Hi Stan Livedeath, I will check that facebook group out now.
    I feel a bit of a fool if I am honest. I guess this is one of those live and learn times. I can carry on being nice to people without JW's-and I also hold nothing against anyone who is a JW-in fact I wish we could all be friends.
    Thank you all, my eyes have definitely been opened today, and it was not something I expected. I am glad it has happened though as I know I would very likely get ill being monitored all the time, knowing people are potentially going to go to elders if they even suspect me of something wrong, and I would always be on edge, wondering if I am going to be questioned for something I have not done. I am not good in those situations, so it definitely seems I will do better away from this.
    All the best, Conan.
  • GodZoo
    GodZoo

My advice is carry on your studying with them.. except tell them before you do any study of the Bible.. that before you can trust and put faith in them as teachers of truth that you want to do a study of the 'Jehovah's Witness Organisation' using it's own literature.

Then come back here and we will provide you with links and printouts to practically their entire library of printed teachings going back to 1897..

Let us know how the study goes..

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Hi Conan welcome to the forum, as to the assumption that the WTS/JWS is a corrupt lying dangerous religoius cult that has a publishing house operating at its core, the answer is unfortunately yes.

Don't know if this web site has been mentioned but JWFACTS.com is a good reference to the conniving lies, deceptions and corruption of this organized cult.

You would do yourself well to research what and how this religious publishing house got started by whom and for what purpose.

It may seem all correct and pure in how its being presented to you by its mind controlled indoctrinated sales representatives (JWS) but its certainly not the truth , but it is clearly recognized as a cult by most professional cult experts and psychologists.

The JWs religion has killed thousands people on its bogus false no blood doctrine, broken apart millions of families and indirectly instigated hundreds of suicides, since its establishment as a free unregulated religious institution. So be forwarded and aware as you enter a Kingdom Hall and are greeted by smiling faces.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Either the congregation you visited was in some kind of weird-ass mirror universe, or they've taken "stealth evangelism" to a whole 'nother level.

x

(Also... Conan, what is best in life? :wink:)

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    Conan, I understand how you would be attracted to the JW's. I believe there is more empathy for a person in your situation than for most people they study with. Let's face it, it takes a lot to live with limitations and its the ultimate situation to express christian, unselfish love. To have a support group is SO important when there is a real need. Challenged or not we need friends. I would propose that there are other groups that are more honestly and consistently supportive to engage with. I have a relative with a birth defect who has most of her support from others with similar issues. She has associated with the JW's her whole life but never been baptized. They do help her for awhile but then tire of it in time because she's NOT one them. I suggest you keep looking for God elsewhere and if he is real he will help you out. I assume you get some form of assistance from the Gov. perhaps you have support groups provided by them as well? Good luck Conan, you express yourself very well. Thanks for posting.
  • problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Conan,

But, I did decide in my 30's (Im still in my 30's), that there was one particular doctrine I did not feel was biblical. That was the MANDATORY refusal of blood transfusions or certain blood products. Its is not supported in scripture as it elevates the symbol of life above life itself, and has many misunderstanding embedded into it. I was content to live with my doubts. The problem was that if I taught this to others, it bothered my conscience very much. You see what you don't already know as a bible study, is you are not allowed to think and feel differently about these things. If your bible trained conscience allows you to take a transfusion in an emergency, or some other forbidden item, you would still be disfellowshipped from the congregation for doing so.

I stopped attending meetings as a esult of this and other things I disagreed with. I didn't disagree angrily, nor did I try to get others to think and feel the way I did. Still......friends I have for decades, called me to tell me they would not be communicating with me anymore. Mind you I have a family, I'm a moral person, raising two small children, I try to live with integrity and help others when it is in my power to do so......its not like I left and grew a beard and started listening to Metalica! Haha.

Still, these otherwise reasonable young guys i lived with and shared moments with over the previous decades just wrote me an e mail saying they regeted that we couldn't "kick it" anymore.

The hall is nice and friendly, as long as you are new, you do not think for yourself, and you never question what you are being told.

that however is not living an authentic life my friend. While JW's may dismiss something like JWfacts.com as lies and false without even reading it, it is far from factually inaccurate. I personally used to come online and argue with what I considered were "apostates". I was thoroughly convinced I was correct, and that the rest of the world was going to die soon if I didn't help them.

I am thankful at one point I decided that I would follow what was logical and the evidence no matter where it led.

My gentle suggestion, is not to get baptized. Once you are, you are subject to the unscriptural practice of disfellowshipping based on a misunderstanding of several scriptures.

Keep learning. And once again, welcome to the board.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit