This Week's BS Study. Shylock?

by Slidin Fast 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Last night the subject of Simony reared its head. There was a picture (artists impression) of the event resembling a bunch of clean-cut Americans in fancy dress busy performing or observing miracles. In the foreground offering a bribe to join in is Simon. He is the only one looking like a jew as from the merchant of Venice.

If it ever happened, weren't they all jews? The picture looks like classic anti-semitism to me. What do you think?

I wish I could cut and paste the picture but I don't have the skills. If someone could, you may see my point.

• Slidin Fast
  • St George of England
  • careful
    careful

Is this the same pic? "resembling a bunch of clean-cut Americans in fancy dress busy performing or observing miracles"? Well, one man in the background is "clean cut"-- perhaps picturing a shaved Roman or Egyptian? But the account takes place in Samaria. The "clean cut" rest in the background are females.

The Simon portrait does look like a typical medieval Jew as pictured by some anti-Jewish gentile artist from the past. It's certainly stereotypical of a bygone era.

Some scholars think Simon may have been a Gnostic, so the pic's creator may have that in mind. But Gnostics probably looked like "normal folks."

• Riley
    Riley

The picture looks a little homoerotic. Kind of like the “ don’t play sports video” .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit