Part 3 of 5 : Isaiah 9:6 'The Mighty God'

by JW Answers 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JW Answers
    JW Answers

Part 3 of Isaiah 9:6 and we come to the name of "The Mighty God".

Isaiah prophecied that the Messiah that was to come would be called Wonderful, Counsellor, THE MIGHTY GOD...

The Jehovah's Witnesses claim that Jesus is Mighty god, where as Jehovah the Father is Almighty God, but this bring problems, contradictions and also heresies towards the scriptures.

The Lord Jesus and the Father are not the same person, however when we read the context and rightly divide the word of truth, we begin to understand from God's word, why Isaiah referred to the coming Messiah of Israel as Mighty God.

Watch video here :

The Mighty God - Isaiah 9:6

• JW Answers
    JW Answers

Notes for this message is as follows :

The 1st coming:

Isaiah 9:6 KJV
    For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

The mighty God: - Moses referred to God as Mighty and Lord of lords.

Deuteronomy 10:17 KJV
    For the Lord your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:

Paul referred to the Lord Jesus as Lord of lords...

1 Timothy 6:14-15 KJV
    That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;

Twice more, the bible describes the Lord Jesus as Lord of lords...
    Revelation 17:14 - Lamb is Lord of Lords
    Revelation 19:16 - Name on Vesture (L of Lords).

Remembering Egypt and the Wilderness:

Deuteronomy 11:1-2 KJV
    Therefore thou shalt love the Lord thy God, and keep his charge, and his statutes, and his judgments, and his commandments, alway. And know ye this day: for I speak not with your children which have not known, and which have not seen the chastisement of the Lord your God, his greatness, his mighty hand, and his stretched out arm.

Moses reminded Israel, that God chastened them, and to remember who He is.

Numbers 21:4-7 KJV
    And they journeyed from mount Hor by the way of the Red sea, to compass the land of Edom: and the soul of the people was much discouraged because of the way. And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for there is no bread, neither is there any water; and our soul loatheth this light bread. And the Lord sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died. Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the Lord, and against thee; pray unto the Lord, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people.

Paul confirmed that it was Christ who sent those fiery serpents and chastened Israel, whom they tempted in the wilderness.

1 Corinthians 10:1-10 KJV
    Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; And did all eat the same spiritual meat; And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ. But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness. Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted. Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play. Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand. Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents. Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.

• JW Answers
    JW Answers

Isaiah recognition towards God as "The Mighty God"

Isaiah 10:20-21 KJV
    "And it shall come to pass in that day, that the remnant of Israel, and such as are escaped of the house of Jacob, shall no more again stay upon him that smote them; but shall stay upon the Lord, the Holy One of Israel, in truth. The remnant shall return, even the remnant of Jacob, unto the mighty God."

References to "The Mighty God" by OT saints :
    Moses - Deut 7:21
    Joshua - 4:24
    Nehemiah - 9:32
    Asaph - Psalm 50:1
    Ezekiel - 20:33
    (Isaiah - 10:20-21)
    Job - 36:5
    Habbakuk - 1:12
    Zephaniah - 3:17
    Daniel - 9:15
    Jeremiah - 32:18

God of Israel:

Isaiah 45:3-5 KJV
    And I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places, that thou mayest know that I, the Lord, which call thee by thy name, am the God of Israel. For Jacob my servant's sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me. I am the Lord, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

Isaiah consistent with John + Paul that no God beside God, yet the Lord Jesus was with God, showing forth equality .

John 1:1 KJV
    In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

God manifest in the flesh

1 Timothy 3:16 KJV
    And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

2nd Coming: (Isaiah referenced Christ as Mighty God in his first coming, and the second coming He is referred to as Almighty God).

Revelation 1:7-8 KJV
    "Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty."

The Almighty who IS TO COME.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Good innit

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Isn't the KJV version wonderful & unique! (just like the RNWT)

Only one other Bible translation slips in the word 'THE' before 'Mighty god' - Webster's. Even the NKJV doesn't do it.

If Isaiah 9:6 is describing Almighty God, why has God Almighty been downgraded to a prince???

You quote Revelation 1:7,8 as if both verses are part of the same sentence by the same speaker. The speaker in verse 7 ends his comments with, "Even so, Amen."

The speaker in verse 8 changes, and then adds to the narrative. Revelation 1:1 explains the identities of the 3 speakers involved in delivering the revelation to John.

One of several verses which describes Jesus situation in heaven is REVELATION 1:6 - "...and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father." (KJV)

How can Jesus have a God if he is already God? So God has a God?

Confirmatory verses: Micah 5:4 ; John 20:17;(prior) Romans 15:6;(NKJV) 2 Corinthians 1:3:(NKJV) 2 Corinthians 11:31; Ephesians 1:3; Hebrews 1:9; 1 Peter 1:3; Revelation 3:2; (NIV & others) Revelation 3:12. (All scriptures from KJV except where noted.)

• Half banana
    Half banana

It is a pointless and impossible task to try and harmonise the contents of the Bible. It is an anthology written by various religious people from different time periods and under different cultural influences. There is no intrinsic unity in Bible texts apart from slavish veneration of an invisible god along with grovelling praise of his abilities.

If the scriptures were fully in agreement, then we might suspect that even more tampering had been going on with the manuscript texts-- more that is, than has already taken place.

I appreciate this is an unwelcome comment but if the matter is not addressed by ex-JWs the alternative is to remain under the spell of Bible injunctions and remain forever captives of its false messages of hope and redemption. We are not any of us going to live forever-- just get used to it!

• jhine
    jhine

l once looked into this after a doorstep conversation with a JW . If l remember rightly the Hebrew word G'bur which is translated as Mighty here is later on in Isaiah translated as Almighty .

Jan

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Nice thread! Marked.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit