Why Are You Here?

by Believer 133 Replies latest jw experiences

• Believer
    Believer

I'm wondering why believers remain members of this forum which is clearly hostile to believers. As one member said, nonbelievers pounce on any semblance of belief like piranhas on prey. As former JWs we should have had our fill of judgmental know-it-alls, but here we are. So why? What is the attraction?

I'll answer first for me. Though I've only been a member for a few days I've been lurking for 2-3 years. One reason I kept coming back was to find out what's new in JW land. The other reason is to observe the long term effect WT theology has on people.

Jesus condemned the Pharisees because 'they traverse land and sea to make one proselyte and then made him a subject of Gehenna more so than themselves.’ At first I wondered what that meant but watching the progression of many exJWs evolve or devolve from blind faith to no faith seems to be the answer. Of course there are many who evolved from blind faith to true faith but those believers are relatively quiet here. So I guess the other reason I keep checking in, I must confess, is like the fascination of watching a train wreck. You really hope no one is seriously injured, but you just can't help looking!

So, fellow believers, that’s my reason. But why are you here? What do you get out of this forum that makes it worth putting up with the attacks from self proclaimed animals?

Oh! And Happy Fathers Day, all you beautiful children of God!!

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

it helped me sort out a few things. Like 1975.

in some way it helps me think i think.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Believer, I also come here to find out what's new in JW land. An additional reason for me: The forum is a place to test what you believe in. If your faith or facts are flimsy, these will be shot down (and burn). Somewhere in Corinthians Paul explained one must build with fire-resistant materials. I looked it up, 1 Cor. 3:11-15. Another reason, if at all possible, you want to help others.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I am here to give balance to this forum. To show new members that you can leave WT and still remain a believer.

I am sorry you feel like you have been mistreated by some posters.

Is there any way I can support you?

Kate xx

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    I'm wondering why believers remain members of this forum which is clearly hostile to believers. As one member said, nonbelievers pounce on any semblance of belief like piranhas on prey.

Not all of us do that. I'm an atheist but I think everyone has the right to believe whatever they want. I don't mind if people express their beliefs as long as they don't expect me to join them. A very small number have set themselves up as guardians of the forum as if they think we can't listen to believers and decide for ourselves. You will have to be tough if you want to remain and still talk about belief. Remember people here have been badly hurt by beliefs so members talking about them pushes their buttons.

One reason I kept coming back was to find out what's new in JW land.

Yes me too because I have family still trapped in this cult. I also try to support other people, particularly with moving on.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Boo hoo.

• Hisclarkness
    Hisclarkness

I come here for the updates as well. By the way, there are very good sites out there for those who still believe.

www.anointedjw.org

www.discussthetruth.com

• EyesOpenHeartBroken
    EyesOpenHeartBroken

I read here because I like to keep up with what's happening in JW land. I am working on a fade and trying to plant seeds to wake up a couple people in the meantime. I find a lot of good ideas for that here by just reading.

Though I am a believer, I don't really have things worked out for myself yet. Therefore, I have little desire to debate. Actions speak louder than words. I find there are many ways IRL to testify--primarily showing love, letting my light shine. I know, to some, that may sound corny, but in my life this has been the key that unlocked everything for me. God is love.

So when I do enter discussions here, it's to talk about JW stuff or offer support to someone. I do not seek theological or philosophical discussions here.

• Believer
    Believer

Thank you KateWild, but you misunderstand me. I don’t feel mistreated. You can’t feel mistreated unless you expect a certain level of treatment that you don’t get. I joined this forum with no expectations, so whatever treatment I get is just the treatment I get. Besides, it says more about the ones giving the treatment, than about those who are subjected to it.

• millie210
    millie210

Hi Believer!

I came here as the walking wounded. I went through a traumatic event in my congregation involving some corruption that went higher up than I first realized. While still active I knew I had to find some balance to my thoughts that I simply was not getting in the religion itself. They created a need and couldnt fill it, so I went looking and ended up here.

If I had to categorize myself between only the two categories of believer/atheist, then I would be forced to default to believer at this point.

I say forced because I try to avoid categories and definitions like that because I find them limiting to the discovery process.

Finding out the JWs do not have the market cornered on any "truth" whatsoever was the worst moment for me. Having survived that, if I find out there is no God, that wont be near as difficult as what has already happened and I am completely open to where the road takes me.

There are some of the nicest (and wisest) posters here who are atheists. They are very kind and gentle and even if some are not as tactful as one might wish, they are fair minded if you are respectful in how you treat them.

That said, I do find it extremely difficult to carry on conversations on the topic of atheism or theism on this board. I did start to notice most of the negativity (as to conversing) is carried out by the few not the many.

Keep reading and you will be able to see for yourself who is sincere in what they believe (athteism, agnostic or anything else for that matter) and who has a "platform" or agenda they are pushing.

I dont click on their threads and when they insert themselves in to a thread I stop reading it and go elsewhere.

My reason for handling it this way is I think about the saying someone here coined "their JW is showing". My apologies to whoever said that - I cant remember.

But basically what it means to me is IF someone is dogmatic, rude or insists their way is the only possible right way, then they have a personality thing going on not a belief thing. I have no time for that - I am searching for truth and accuracy, not looking to be someones disciple!

There is a well known song with a line that says, "take what you need and leave the rest..."

That is a way to benefit from a forum without getting bruised by it if you are new and until you find your footing and your place in the community,

I hope you stick around and keep posting Believer, its really nice to have you here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit