Why do so many people believe in psychic powers?

by The Rebel 16 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Secretslaveclass..." Life's realities are either not enough or too much for them......."

The Rebel : So we believe in dinosaurs because the evidence is everywhere, yet do you not agree, not so long ago that would have been a wired belief?

The Rebel.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

Rebel:

Had people made claim there were once these massive animals that roamed the planet without evidence, I most certainly would not have bought the stories. I don't look for answers that make me feel better or comfortable or astonish me. I reflect on the evidence and if it's there I accept the facts and sometimes those facts happen to be astonishing. What makes me feel comfortable is knowing it's okay to admit mistakes and change my thought process. What makes me feel better is knowing I didn't swallow unsubstantiated claims and behave like an emotional, irrational fool. Nothing makes me feel more ashamed of myself than behaving irrationally.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Secretslaveclass, thanks for the reply, I agree with everything you said about being skeptic to psychic phenonomen without proof. Nonetheless I gave personal exsperiences of my individual exsperiences, and I put those exsperiences on the line, hoping and assuming surely on this board posters would be able to add similar psychic exsperiences if I wasn't a " deluded Moron. So far I appear to be a " deluded Moron"

The Rebel.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

You won't get any takers Rebel. Some have tried on here In the past but the replies are always, that's anecdotal, your imagination or if it was true someone would have won the million dollars from James Randi.

As you say until it can be proved by scientists it is only a belief so I keep my fascinating experiences to myself as do many others because, unsurprisingly, people are allergic to 'beliefs' here. I do think in most societies, however, it's quite acceptable to mention an interesting and unprovable experience in a relaxed setting.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

Rebel:

In no way are you a deluded moron. To the contrary I think you're highly intelligent. I merely offered you insight into my way of looking at the supernatural. When I was a kid my mother convinced me demons were real so I often "saw" demons which would terrify me (thanks for that, oh loving JW mother). Thankfully my dad convinced me to challenge my irrational fears early (about seven years old). When I "saw" a demon, instead of hiding under the covers or calling out to my parents, I would get up and walk towards this "demon" and lo-and-behold, it wasn't really there! This gave me the strength to face my fear of the dark and intentionally go outside in the dark and investigate every snap, crackle and pop I heard and approach every shadowy silhouette I imagined to be a monster, demon, dangerous animal or boogeyman.

I owe my dad my life of freedom because ever since, I have forced myself to face up to every fear I have ever faced, whether imagined or real.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    I'm not the least bit psychic but I have had a supernatural experience involving a dead relative, and have heard a good and reputable friend tell me her experience involving her murdered mother. I am a Christian and don't know exactly how it fits into my own theology, but I do believe some worried spirits stay here until they find peace to move on.
  • C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    Thanks for the link Cofty, which having read it seemed to dismiss heart felt intuition against rational thinking.

"heart felt intuition" Is basically a quick assessment by your subconscious, which mostly relies on your feelings and experiences.

Intuition in an area you have much experience can be a really good way to asses something fast and with high accuracy.

Intuition in a field you have little expiration in is a good way to trick yourself, thinking the intuition is equally accurate.

It is not very reliable because it faces problems in more complex matters, that usually requires more complex and deliberate thinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit