Why do so many people believe in psychic powers?

by The Rebel 16 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

As an ex-witness I have enjoyed becoming open to other people's views and understanding. Therefore this O.P is on the subject of psychic powers. My own exsperience I can't explain rationally, but as a child many times I had dreams that came true in detail, yet many may explain it away as Deja vu. So what is the difference between heart-felt intuition and confirmation basis? ( If only I had written the dreams down, before they came true then I would have the confirmation basis)

Anyway I am sure most posters have exsperienced psychic powers of some nature, and I would be interested in those posters providing examples of :-

A) There psychic exsperience

B) How they rationalize them,

C) And any confirmation basis that can be provided that it really was a psychic exsperience.

Admittadley it's not always easy to decide what a psychic exsperience is, for me cases of mental illnesses such as schizophrenia, where people hear voices, this is not experiencing psychic phenomena. Also the taking of LSD or other drugs which may produce hallucination I do not consider a physic exsperience. however I have no problem with posters who may have different views when it comes to psychic exsperience.

Thank you for your comments.

The Rebel.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

I would just like to add I believe somethings are not explainable in normal terms, somethings can not be explained, I have been in a house where a poltergeist was supposed to be. Now I am not pretending to account for it exactly but for no apparent reason a window was smashed in the kitchen. I didn't witness the window being broken, but both my wife and I heard voices that were not the radio, nor T.V and we were alone in the house. We rationalized it away, but I was glad to leave the place, and looking back I can't explain it away as an ordinary occurrence.

The Rebel.

• cofty
    cofty

I think you will find the answer among these options...

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Thanks for the link Cofty, which having read it seemed to dismiss heart felt intuition against rational thinking. However I am more interested in posters direct personal exsperience of psychic phenomena than links that try to rationalize that experience away.

I would add that direct personal experience should be dealt with respectfully, and good examples and explanations of why this was a psychic clarified.

The Rebel

• cofty
    cofty
    The plural of anecdote is not data.
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

Cofty: "The plural of anecdote is not data"

The Rebel. " Nonetheless I believe anecdotes are valuable to the scientific process, even if they are not conclusions. More importantly I hope we both agree the only way anything can be proven is to THINK, with no holds barred? I guess that includes anecdotes?

The Rebel.

• zeb
    zeb
    "Please pay attention. All those who believe in Psychokenisis raise my right hand."..Sir Ronnie Corbett.
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

Zeb, I love Ronnie Corbett, but he would never have wanted to become " Sir" Ronnie Corbett unless they knighted " Ronnie Barker" also.

Ronnie Corbett: "And now, it's good night from me..."

Ronnie Barker: " and it's good night from him"

........ Reading the News.......

Ronnie Barker: And Solomon F. Potts , Americas most persistent practical joker, was buried today. He's not dead, it's just the neighbors getting their own back.

The Rebel.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    Because life's realities are either not enough or too much for them. Too many humans want to believe in the "other", something transcendent. It's all an emotional search for hope beyond reality.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice
    I have never had anything happen in my life that makes me believe in the psychic or supernatural. If it exists, I never saw it. Therefore, I have nothing personal to base any experiences on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit