New ANTI-GAY video for Kids on jw.org

by ttdtt 234 Replies latest jw experiences

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Cofty you missed that gay 'people can change'. They have to leave their gayness behind because God won't let them into paradise because he made normal people straight, one man, one woman. It's implicit because the whole discussion begins with a picture of a gay couple and everything that follows relates to that.
  • cofty
    cofty

I think the WT have acknowledged that being gay isn't entirely a matter of choice have they not?

They demand that a gay person stops having a gay sexual relationship. That is unreasonable and narrow-minded but I don't think it amounts to hatred of gay people.

It doesn't help to overstate our objections.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze
    I didn't see any hate. What did I miss?
    The (implied) gay man who can’t get through Jehovah’s security gate is equated with being a terrorist. It’s as if he has a weapon of mass destruction in his carry-on bag.

Later, he reads the Bible, throws down his homosexual terrorist carry-on bag, and leaps through the security gate into Paradise. Beyond the gate two little boys are swimming.

Don’t you see? If gay people would just read the Bible, Witness children would finally be safe.

There’s a another disturbing aspect to this. Caleb has no face.

Sophia is so focused on herself and her model-perfect Witnoid parents that she left out a MALE.

What happens when little girls consider their personal happiness? What happens when we leave out the males?

A female-only world with bad gay mommies, that’s what!

So, little girls, focus on the MALES, obey the men in Jehovah’s Manly arrangement. He knows what's best for us.

What a mess.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    They demand that a gay person stops having a gay sexual relationship. That is unreasonable and narrow-minded but I don't think it amounts to hatred of gay people.
    When the Brahma Kumaris cult wants to prevent married people having sex you think that's despicable, Cofty. Trying to prevent gay people having sex is just unreasonable and narrow minded is it, but not hateful? I am very surprised at this reaction.
  • Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno
    Cofty: it's carefully crafted so that people will go: "welllll, that wasn't really hateful." However, material like this feeds hatemongers. When I was in the org, I would have seen this and said, "hahahha! I bet the stupid f-gs are gonna be pissed now!" Videos like this justify hatred and bigotry.
  • Cadellin
    Cadellin

Little Rock Guy: By that standard, virtually anything that makes me feel bad about myself could be classified as inciting hate. I don't think it helps anyone's case to set the bar that low--and I'm NOT trivializing true hate speech or promoting homophobia by saying that. On the contrary. I do think, however, that we need to move past simplistic definitions of what constitutes hate speech.

ttdtt: How do you know I'm not? Something does not have to be necessarily classified as inciting hate to be disturbing, narrow-minded and simply erroneous, as that new JW video is.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Now that Sophia has been carefully indoctrinated about Jehovah's views on homosexuality, it is now time for her to learn about Jehovah's views on incest!

• cofty
    cofty
    Don’t you see? If gay people would just read the Bible, Witness children would finally be safe. - betterdaze

I don't see that at all. There is no implied link between homosxuality and child abuse in the video. I have no idea what you mean by the "Caleb has no face" stuff. That just sounds bizarre.

Trying to prevent gay people having sex is just unreasonable and narrow minded is it, but not hateful? - Xant

Yes that is my point. They are intransigent in condemning homosexual conduct but I don't see how the video is hate speech against gay people. I have heard anti-gay hate-speech from the convention platform in the past.

The video is horrible and harmful for lots of reasons but I think it is a mistake to characterise it as hate speech.

When I was in the org, I would have seen this and said, "hahahha! I bet the stupid f-gs are gonna be pissed now!" - Jehal

I wouldn't have. Even as a JW twenty+ years ago I accepted that being gay was not entirely a matter of choice and I never hated gay people.

• jambon1
    jambon1

Exactly the reason why I banned my children from this cult.

To have them raised with such beliefs would be absolutely against everything I stand for.

Vile cult.

• steve2
    steve2

feel so sorry for people whom I'm sure are born this way, but it's a JW belief and they must teach it to their young.

It is what it is.

Congratulations Doubtfully Yours. Excellent to see your progress. Your pity is noted - reminds me of earlier decades when homosexuality went from being "bad" (criminalized) to "sad" (medicalized).

Hope one of your goals is to move beyond pity. Perhaps as time passes you will simply see those who have a non-heterosexual sexual orientations as fellow humans who deserve the same rights as all other humans living in your community - no speclal treatment, no need to feel sorry for them - no more than you'd (presumably) feel sorry for say, women, or children or people from different ethnic minorities.

I'm a third generation born-in JW whose grandparents on both sides and parents were JWs (both now deceased). I was surrounded by JWs all my life until my mid-20s, but I've been queer since before school. Naturally it was never the topic of conversation round the dinner table or anywhere else. However, listening to what my mother told me about other family members and relatives, I have no doubt that I was born with a homosexual sexual orientation. That said, I think the research also shows that relatively few humans are at either far end of the sexual orientation continuum and that a sizeable proportion of individuals identify as bi-sexual.

And we haven't even discussed transgendered individuals yet!

I can hardly wait for Mom (and Dad) to have a talk with Sophie and her brother about this complex issue!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit