New ANTI-GAY video for Kids on jw.org

by ttdtt 234 Replies latest jw experiences

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

They demand that a gay person stops having a gay sexual relationship. That is unreasonable and narrow-minded but I don't think it amounts to hatred of gay people.

Really? Let's imagine this is a racial way:

They demand that a black person stop having a sexual relationship. That is unreasonable and narrow-minded but I don't think it amounts to hatred of black people.

Can a person of colour change their skin colour?

No.

So this would amount to hatred not in a direct way, but indirectly, by impacting on their sex life. Which is a basic human need.

Can a gay person change their sexuality?

No.

So again, this amounts to hatred not in a direct way, but indirectly, by impacting on their sex life. Which is a basic human need.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

New ANTI-GAY video for Kids on jw.org

A Thinly Veiled,Bigoted,Fear Mongering,WBT$ "Anti Gay Message"..

In a WBT$ Diseny-ish Childrens Cartoon.

....................Jehovah Will Kill..

...Both Your Mommies At Armageddon!..

Image result for Watchtower SophiaImage result for Sad cartoon child

............................ABSOLUTELY DESPICABLE..

• cofty
    cofty
    So again, this amounts to hatred not in a direct way, but indirectly, by impacting on their sex life. Which is a basic human need. - wizzstick

The JW position on gay sex is similar to their instructions to unmarried hetrosexuals.

A lot of JWs fail to find a mate in the cult and are condemned to a life of enforced celibacy.

We might as well say that they hate single people.

• just fine
    just fine

Love people for who they are. It's so much easier to just love everyone.

As for homeschooling - I knew kids who were homeschooled and it was a joke. I had one as a roommate in my early twenties. Didn't know basic geography or other elementary level subjects. She was at such a huge disadvantage.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

Cofty: my point wasn't that you would have been hateful, it's that people, like I was previously, would have.

Again, videos like this aren't hateful on their own, but they feed the hateful and bigoted mentality many JWs already have. Perhaps it's a US thing, but many of my JW peers growing up (including myself, I'm ashamed to say) were very vile towards homosexuals in their everyday talk.

A video like this that comes from their ultimate authority, the governing body, gives them justification to perpetuate that vile hatred and indoctrinate their children with it.

• gda
  • blondie
    blondie
    Very judgmental....and hypocritical. The same people who hide pedophiles in their organization, or make Lot a hero who offered his daughters to be raped, or the Levite and Israelite father who offered his concubine and daughter to be gang raped. or told the Israelite soldiers to kill everything breathing including children.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

I think the disgust is not as much about their outdated disapproval of homosexuality. But this delivery was especially vile.

This seems to take it 1 step further, teaching a young child to SHAME her classmate and their parents. I think you are downplaying the ugliness of this too much Cofty.

I have many times heard (first hand) witnesses say the most disrespectful and hateful things about homosexuals in everyday conversation. It is definitely not viewed the same as unmarried heterosexuals. This CARTOON dragging in not just the JW child, but the non-jw child and her loving family. I find that f-cking unacceptable.

• steve2
    steve2

It's clearly NOT a hateful video. The adjective "hateful" has become an over-used word to describe anyone who dares disagree with you on a sensitive issue.

Yet, at the same time, the video feeds into the notion that certain people are excluded from Jehovah's approval. In that regard, the two mommies are in the very same company as the overwhelming majority of others on planet earth.

Note also that when Sophie's cartoonish mother answered Sophie's big-eyed question about what should she say to the girl with two mommies, her mother simply trotted out the "safe" line about talking to the other girl about the hope of living in the future paradise and playing with the animals.

Clearly, the producers of the video would have been courting trouble if they depicted her mother as suggesting Sophie point out how the other girl's mommies make Jehovah sad.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Hateful or not the video does feed the notion that homosexuality is a greater "sin" than heterosexual relations outside of marriage. I note no video has been produced to suggest how to explain to a child why men and women living together outside of marriage is wrong. No other forms of sexual relationships unacceptable to Witnesses were brought up or used to provide a comparative equality of sin in Jehovah's eyes.

Worse still is giving a young kid the black and white message that gay people can change. Of course this means celibacy rather than some "cure" but that is not even hinted at nor is it even really within the comprehension of such a young child. To them, through this video, "gay" is a choice that an be changed.

I agree in principle with Cofty's argument regarding the risk of over egging the moral outrage however please also let's not accidentally mitigate the pernicious underlying message in this video that gays are not welcome in Jehovah's organisation or in his new world of cuddly lions. It is feeding stereotypes and forming a pattern of thought that will lead to predjuice and even outright hated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit