Taking bets on how long this cult will last and what will happen to it

by macys 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    vidiot: I don't know about "ceasing to exist", but child abuse scandals brought the Hare Krishna sect to its knees.
    It's technically still around, but it's a pale shadow of its former self.

Child abuse scandal also brought the Children of God to its knees. However....good ol' Grant rallied the troops and created The Family International. The leopard changed its spots. But it is still there.

A pale shadow is still a shadow. And you never know what that shadow conceals when it comes to cults and money.

• done4good
    done4good

Children of God - Was that not the cult that original Fleetwood Mac guitarist Jeremy Spencer joined?

Copyright David Allison, Redcar Jazz Club, Coatham Hotel, Redcar, England, 1969/70 tour

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The leopard changed its spots. But it is still there.

Good point OrphanCrow

The WTS can change its color, drop certain doctrines and rename certain titles all the while holding on to its assets.

NEW LIGHT a comein, I'd say. Praise Da Lord

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    done4good: Children of God - Was that not the cult that original Fleetwood Mac guitarist Jeremy Spencer joined?

Yes. The Children of God was a California cult that came up against the State law back in the 70s. The ramifications of those legal battles are still felt today in legal cases such as Candace Conti in California.

The Children of God went through transformations in response to legal pressure - Berg (main leader) dissolved the Children of God and remade the cult with a new name: "The Family of Love" aka "The Family".

The Family International eventually, in 2004, was established by one of the leaders of the original Children of God, Grant Montgomery, and operates to this day. Jeremy Spencer is actively involved in the Family International.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Note the similarities to this cult and the JWS.

The Family International, formed as the Children of God (COG), renamed Family of Love and later The Family, is a new religious movement started in 1968 in Huntington Beach, California, United States that is called a cult by academics such as Benjamin Beit-Hallahmi[1] and John Huxley.[2]

Overview

TFI initially spread a message of salvation, apocalypticism, and spiritual "revolution and happiness" against the outside world, which the members called "the System". In 1976,[3] it began a method of evangelism called Flirty Fishing, using sex to "show God's love and mercy" and win converts, resulting in controversy.[4] TFI's founder and prophetic leader, David Berg (who was first called "Moses David" in the Texas press), took the titles of "King", "The Last Endtime Prophet", "Moses", and "David". He communicated with his followers via Mo Letters— vital letters of instruction and counsel on myriad spiritual and practical subjects—until his death in late 1994.[5] After his death, his widow Karen Zerby became the leader of TFI, taking the title of "Queen" and "prophetess". She married Steve Kelly, an assistant of Berg's whom he had handpicked as her "consort". Kelly took the title of "King Peter" and became the public face of TFI, speaking in a more public capacity than either David Berg or Karen Zerby.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

I think probably a major decline might start in 30 to 50 years. But that may happen with religion in general. In 50 years I believe, if mankind doesn't destroy itself, major technological advances that will stir more people away from religion. Finding advance life forms would definitely help I think.

It doesn't really matter though as I fear most of us will be long dead before any real decline happens. I'm just happy my daughter and any other children I may have will not be influenced by this sadistic cult.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    finklestein: Note the similarities to this cult and the JWS...

Examining the Children of God is like looking at a microcosm of the WTS. The cultic pattern of dissolution, restructuring, and transformation is very evident in the Children of God/Family of Love/Family/Family International and it provides a template for understanding the morphing and shifting that occurs in a larger cult like the JWs.

The Family International was founded by Grant to sidestep and hide the Children of God past. In that, he has been rather successful. So successful that most people don't even know that Grant is the one who founded the Family International.

I see much the same thing happening with the WTS - the Jehovah's Witnesses will fade into obscurity and become known as "that cult that had child abuse problems". And, as the Children of God morphed into Family International, so too will the Jehovah's Witnesses become JW..org. A safe, santitized version of a model that was no longer financially viable.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

The internet is killing Christian religion, I saw a video on YouTube where it showed statistics of 4000 plus congregations closing every year. New people that have been born in the last 20 Years mostly arent religious and the number of admitted atheists is approaching 10% in the USA it's already above that in Europe. The Bible has been exposed and people can easily access information online in mere seconds. Collegages are showing movies like Zietgiest. Apostates of this cult who were mostly and unknown group except when the Borg mentioned them are now all over the net. Young ones are not afraid to voice their opinions like the young ones of old.

The numbers of ones joining was as little as 11,000 in the USA their biggest market a couple of years ago. Ones that join in other countries in Africa and Latin America have no money to donate.

But the biggest sign that this cult is in trouble is that they themselves have pulled the plug on their ministry. They no longer pay missionarys to go to other countries, Gilead members are also no longer paid and are most times sent back tobthe area or country they came from. Then theirs the layoff of all their special pioneers. They now know that any profits theyll make off members are going to be from the western world only and only in a hand full of countries.

They are pulling their own plug, now they sit back suck the last members dry and hope that a major event like a major earthquake or asteroid will scare new members in to their arms.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

The only thing I care about is that this religion is exposed and that the general public are enlightened as to what it is REALLY all about and the damage caused by their erroneous teachings be known to all.

I want their name to be a household term connected with failed prophecies and damaged lives and not just a joke on late night television. The truth is not funny. I want the false image of them as just a "benign" group to be dispelled.

If they exist in some form after that, well at least people will be making an informed choice if they join!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I wish I were as positive as you seem to be, macys.

I think that, unfortunately, the WTS will be around for a very long time.

You're correct when you say that if God is blessing this organization, there should be growth.

IMO, there's one thing that this org excels in: its ability to survive. Growth is just an added bonus that may or may not happen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit