Taking bets on how long this cult will last and what will happen to it

by macys 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DNCall
    DNCall

First let me say, You Rock! The first post I read of yours said, "Jesus was gay. True story." Really funny, and since reading a number of your other posts, I appreciate your positive approach to life.

On topic, I think the stage is set for a significant collapse of the organization. The only thing that has been cited that may keep the organization going is that some people will always need what they're selling. I see this eroding along with everything else that has sustained the organization's existence. Maybe not at the same rate as the other things, but erosion nonetheless. Scandal, decades of wrongheaded business management, brain-drain at the top and an unsustainable theology will change it forever--and maybe even end it. At the rate it is going, ten years seems like a reasonable time frame for all of this to take place.

• Stealth
    Stealth

Since I can't get a $5 return by investing my $5 for 15 years, this is a good bet. I will gladly take your $5 in 15 years. Please PM me how I can reach you at that time.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The Borg has survived two world wars, and the great depression, not to mention that it has survived a string of predictions that have all proven to be false (1914; 1925; 1941; 1975; and the end of the (20th) Century). It has also survived unbelievable changes in doctrine. Just the "generation" doctrine as changes 3 or 4 times in the past 25 years.

Most JWs don't realize it. They just dub-along.

It will be here under new and incredible leadership (again) when we are all gone.

Doc

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    The Borg has survived two world wars, and the great depression,

The cult has proven that it can flourish in difficult times (as do most religions) but as the world becomes more prosperous, I think they're going to have more trouble.

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

I bet the WTBTS will outlive us all on this board at this time. Changing and evolving at each turn as time passes; sort of like the 'generation' change in 1995.

It will just change colors like a chameleon.

SL

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The Borg will be around for a while, quite a while. As mentioned, the 1995 teachings were swallowed-up with a few Watchtower studies.

The Borg has and will continue to morph into, well, shall we say different understandings in order for the rank and file to ''buy'' what they teach.

• kairos
    kairos

All previous "big deals" did not have the power of the internet behind them and all the JWs "green lighted" to use the internet. ( at the meetings, even )

Curiosity killed the cat and all that.
    I really need to place some JWFACTS signs here and there...

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

The past can be a guide to the future. The Watchtower lost up to 75% of their members during the Rutherfordian regime. They simply split off into different "Bible Student" sects (some of which are still around) or went to some other church.

Not only did they survive but they eventually increased in numbers after being transformed into preaching robots. I'm not saying that the same exact thing will happen but I do believe that they'll waste away down to a stable level.

I also believe that the Watchtower will continue to simplify their meetings to lighten the load of elders and ministerial servants. Not out of concern for their well being (they don't give a damn) but to keep what few of them they have.

Also any reduction in numbers is likely to be limited to the English speaking nations and some European countries. I don't believe that apostate websites, which act like a magnet on the disenchanted, are available in much numbers or at all in many foreign languages.

• WireRider
    WireRider

I think the trend of losing members will be more of an exponential rate than linear. For many of the reasons discussed here all coming together.

As I understand is the Watchtower has three sources of income. As Publishing Company - that is seems they make more money from the congregations than anyone. as a Cult keeping the herd in blinders and controlling what they think and away from truth - but give them free money. As free slave labor to work for the Publishing Company and very hard free slave labor for the Cult to get more members - judged on time slips?

Really? I always thought God would know. Why does God need with time slips? (Reminds me of one of the early Star Trek movies "what DOES God need with a starship")

The real change is societal change around them. It's not the 1930's any more - you can no longer manage the herd the way they used to. The rate of information is exponential. In 1930 you could never learn of the WT history - now you can't avoid it. Their ability to control people is constantly slipping from them.

A long history of forbidding secondary education - so you don't get smart enough to think for yourself and leave. Just doesn't work in modern day society.

The increasing drop in membership will hurt them financially in increasing way. But they do have enough real estate to sell off for years.

I do like the aging-out statements. As more are leaving, or passing away, it will continue to break the generational chain in a snowball way. Something they have counted on for growth for 100 years. No work - the herd will multiply. No longer a projected growth and they know it.

Religion as a whole has been on a decline for years, and they will probably get hit hardest.

Overall, they have to know due to probably a dozen discrete factors, the numbers will drop precipitously. It all hits the life blood of the WT - their income/money.

I think they should move the head quarters to a 3rd world country. Where it is still the 1930's - where they thrive with no information available except what the WT tells them to believe. No secondary education either. Of course they have no money to leach from like the US.

• never a jw
    never a jw

@Simon

"I predict that in 10 years time people will be predicting that the WTS will be seriously declining in 10 years time"

Even though there is some true to what you are saying, the facts are the facts. People are leaving organized religion faster than ever. As implied by your statement, there will never be a dramatic decline, but the gradual downward trend is clear and is in stark contrast to the upward trend of just 20 years ago. We are living in a watershed moment in the history of the Watchtower, and of religion in general. We are witnessing history, and the internet is the driving, inexorable force behind it. Your statement is based on past and reliable information, but information that is rapidly becoming obsolete. We just entered uncharted territory and the predictions that applied to old models won't work anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit