Second Class Citizenship

by Coded Logic 5 Replies latest social current

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Can you imagine if a person was refused services because they were black? Or because they were Christian? There would be nationwide outrage. Every major network would be covering it and politicians would be lining up left and right to denounce such a business. But when it's the LGBT community it's doesn't even make the front page of the local paper.

We've come a long way. But there is still a long way yet to go for LGBT equality. Here's just a few outrageous acts of discrimination over the past couple of months.

• In February 2015, a pediatrician in Michigan refused to treat a newborn because the child’s parents were lesbians. She said she had prayed before making her decision.
    • In February 2015, a gay man was refused funeral services for his husband and then when the funeral did take place, church members handed the family antigay pamphlets.
    • In January 2016, Republican State Senator in Nebraska introduced a bill that would allow adoption agencies to refuse to place children in the homes of qualified LGBT parents.
    • In March 2016, a California Barber refused to give a haircut to a Transgender Army Veteran because "it is a shame for a man to have long hair but if a woman has long hair, it's her glory and it speaks to being given to her as her covering."

Enough with the religious bullying and the social intolerance. Enough with people claiming to be acting in the name of God. The sooner organized religion dies the better.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Excellent cartoon that rightly lampoons fundamentalists' insistence that you show them tolerance and respect.

The tide is definitely turning. In just ten years support for gay marriage in the US for example has climbed enormously from something like 35% to 60%, and rising. Soon support will be pretty much universal and they won't even bother measuring it any more. A new generation will just not put up with discrimination any longer.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The cartoon sums up the situation pretty well.

But let's remember how far the West has come.

It's very wrong when someone refuses to deal with LGBT people and they should lose their jobs but there has been a pattern of increasing acceptance, slowly but surely, of LGBT people in the West.

Hopefully, more and more people will be accepting of LGBT people and their legit life choices.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

The kind of thinking that uses religion to justify hatred is hard to fight. People have a right to their religion, but they don't have a right to use it as an excuse for treating others badly. I do not get the pediatrician, no matter what she thinks of the parents, the baby is completely innocent. How far would she go in punishing a child for perceived sins of the parents? If she were the only pediatrician in town would she let the child die rather than compromise her beliefs? What is Christian about that? What about her other patients, if she learns a father committed adultery would she refuse to treat the child? Or is it only homosexuality that is too sinful for her delicate sensibilities?

• Simon
    Simon

As long as they are OK that they too can be refused service:

"Sorry, I refuse to serve you because you support a psychopathic deity - have you tried praying yourself better?" - me as a paramedic in the world they want to create

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

I don't agree with the refusal of services to anyone, regardless if their gay or not. I support human rights which encompasses rights for gay people. In the USA the last I knew there were no federal laws protecting gays in regards to many issues (hiring, services). I'm not sure if there are federal laws even for hate crimes for gays. I think that should be the focus.

However, one thing I'm adamantly oppose to is destroying a person that is a bigot, racist, or religious zealot. That is the problem I have with organizations like La Race, Cair, NAACP, LGBT groups, etc. Instead of focusing on changing laws and attitudes, often it includes destroying a person and their lively hood. Their are many examples of this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit