Does anyone want to change the world-just a little? Stinky?

by azaria 3 Replies latest jw friends

• azaria
    azaria

Hi again, Stinky Pantz

I woke up around 6:30 this morning. The birds were chirping. The older I get the more in awe I am about the universe. You were one of the first people I thought about. I do want to give you a very belated hug for the child you were when some horrible things happened to you. I can’t undo your pain, anymore than you can undo it for me, but we can all be there for each other when we are in pain, as I’ve seen in a lot of the posts I have read since coming here. We both have opposite beliefs. But we do have a common belief about one thing; abused children. This morning as I was thinking about the question that troubles the two of us most, I was asking why? (believers will understand it when I say this, and non-believers will say it was a co-incidence) I happened to turn on the TV in my bedroom which I haven’t done in many months. A young man was on, talking about the plight of hungry children in Africa. His name is Edward John and he sang "Time to Give" (it sure is a freaky co-incidence) and some of you, get your bucket.

If I were to start some kind of fund, however small, to ask for donations to help some of the abused children, how would you feel about it? We could all (on this site) do our part, in our own areas of the world. Even if everyone gave a dollar, in time it could grow into a fairly substantial amount. Everybody could have a say in how to set it up, how the $ should be distributed, or we could vote for someone with a big heart (Mouthy comes to mind) to make those decisions; or more than one person. We could set up a general fund through a bank or we could individually raise money and turn it in to a local charity. At any time we can report back here how much $ has been raised indivually. I think the simpler the better. What do you think?, we could call it "Spantz Fund" or whatever everyone else decides. In a sense, you more than anyone inspired the thought in my mind to do this. Why don’t we try and do something for even a few children, one child? I’m really serious about this. Heck, maybe Simon will even give us our own section! Even if we each collect $100 x the number of members on this site? Come on fellow Canadians en Nederlanders, show the rest of the world what we’re made of. I think this could really work, but only if we all do our share.

One of my inspirations I would have to say is a lady in my study group. This is a lady with so much joy. You know what I think part of the secret is?; she’s a giving person. On her own she collects items; food, clothing, baby formula, baby furniture, for the less fortunate. She just asks people & companies for anything she thinks is needed. Even with her handicap she gladly does for others. "Is Joy found in Giving?"

A few others have also sewn a few seeds (as us believers would say) Our director yesterday quoted "We Get Back What We Give Away". I think too about some of the posters here: Blueblades who initially started the topic "Have You Ever Experienced God?".(what have you started? I’m sure it wasn’t your intention to sew a seed) I read a post from Ravyn to Esmerelda about not giving in, to be strong, for the sake of her little girl. I like spunk; to not let obstacles keep you down, not to continue to wallow in it and let it destroy you.

So I have my "Spantz Fund" jar on top of the fridge with the first loonie, who’ll join me?

To date: $1.00 Cdn

• Almost There
    Almost There

Why not just pray to God?

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Azaria-

Unfortunately your idea wouldn't work. Who would be in charge of the money? How could we trust this person? Who decides how the money would be allocated? I'm glad that I've inspired you to give more, but asking for money on a public forum rarely works. We all have to do our part as human beings. That's why I think that noone should rely on prayer to help them out. I tried that; it didn't work. I have volunteered and it's wonderful! Big brothers & sisters is a great way to help kids.

• azaria
    azaria

Hi Stinky Pantz: Not sure if you'll go back to this but if you do, thanks for responding to my post. I've had a busy weekend, so I was unable to respond. I honestly thought I would have gotten a bit more responses, mostly critical from some here. I was prepared for that. You said that it wouldn't work. Personally I think it would work if people really wanted it to work. Who would handle the money? As I basically mentioned in my first post, we could have the fund registered, and through banks we could collect $. A much simpler way is for each person that wanted to be involved start something on their own and give to the charity of their choice; we would just report back here to see how much was collected. As for honesty; you can't avoid that. Some people are honest; some not.

Almost there: I assume your comment is sarcastic. Just praying about it wouldn't work, we do have to do our part. He doesn't have a magic wand, like some would like Him to have.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit