The Biggest Mistake The GB Have Made In The Last 10 Years

by pale.emperor 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• freddo
    freddo

Good point Sir 82.

Well if they push out 3 million by their vainglorious stupidity then that's fine by me!

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"The GB is pushing fence-sitters out. They'd rather have 3 million fiercely loyal than 8 million wishy-washy."

Yes..it seems they have offended some on purpose. Some of the things said and done seem like they want these "trouble makers" OUT.

• Island Man
    Island Man

I think the biggest mistake has been their recent emphasis on the use of smart-phones, and tablets and the promotion of jw.bog. This means that JWs are now being unwittingly encouraged to have greater exposure to online information which means that the new generation of JWs is now at much greater risk of being exposed to TTATT.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I think it's brilliant as well. I did NOT see this one coming.

All the points sir mentioned rings for me also. The corporation knows the writing on the wall. There will be no huge influx of new converts as in the past. The elderly loyal are dying, the boomers are not far behind which leaves a mixed bag in the congregations.

The faithful are eating this new arrangement up like peanut butter brownies, and I agree it is probably half of what they claim are adherents. The other half...they don't know what the heck they are going to do.

If the corporation were truly interested in its flock, they would actually be trying to help them, in social as well as spiritual ways. But they have no interest. They are cutting their outlay of expenses, building up their investment portfolio so the corporation can remain solvent for years to come

• Londo111
    Londo111

When I was in, I could've only named a couple of them, but had a reverent awe for those in that position.

Some of the more bubble-popping moments as a JW were when a GB member would show up at an assembly or convention. At best, it was a letdown. At worst, it was outright demoralizing.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    I can only imagine what is going through the minds of current JWs as they watch the monthly dog and pony show

But ARE they watching it? Genuine question. I honestly can't imagine my 72 year old, hard core JW but technophobe mother watching anything on jw.org unless someone sat her down and set it up for her.

Are these things routinely screened at the meetings?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I was a JW in the 1990s and I knew all the GB by name, because they were pictured in the Proclaimers book, 12 of them at the time, like apostles.

Personally I think their biggest mistakes were dropping the Book Study groups and the ridiculous generation change.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Overall, I have to say JW Broadcasting is an evil genius idea. JWs nowadays are not the readers and debaters they used to be. They are not tackling and retaining information like in the days of the red Babylon book or the Your Will Be Done book. They cannot defend their doctrine (thus they usually run when questioned) and the stuff that has made it into print in the last 16 years has been very simplified. Basically it boils down to: go in field service and attend all meetings.

JWs (like my parents) are TV addicts. Watchtower has given them a TV channel to watch...whenever I've visited my parents they've it playing nonstop. It's noise in the background even when they are not watching directly. It's like 1984.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Your Will Be Done was one of my favourite books, and Babylon the Great has Fallen.

• Wait For It
    Wait For It

@Nicolaou, I don't think the older ones are watching it. Many don't even own tablets. In my elders' attempt to help strengthen my faith, they had me study with an older pioneer. I asked her what she made of the generation chart the GB came up with on the broadcast and she had no idea what I was talking about. She doesn't watch them and I honestly don't even think she knew about the changed teaching. Not too surprising since she is a 1975 denier even though she was around and in the Org during that time.

Some KHs do stream the broadcast if they have the capability.

I'm really glad for the broadcast and the annual meeting broadcasts. Seeing Tony and the others knocked my rose-petal glasses off and helped me see behind the curtain. They weren't magical men who talked with god anymore. They weren't fairytales casually mentioned in the WT on Sunday. They were real and they were horrible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit