Sex and YHWH - 2 Samuel Ch 12.

by fulltimestudent 8 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

There's been a few commentaries on this topic of late, so i'm offering a few more thoughts.

Here's an extract from 2 Samuel 12, consider for a moment the implications.

7 Then Nathan said to David, “You are the man! This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. 8 I gave your master’s house to you, and your master’s wives into your arms. I gave you all Israel and Judah. And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more.

So no individual choice for these women. They seem to be just property, Iike Saul's 'house.' Even if they didn't want to be given to David, they became his property.

But read a little further and ... and YHWH threatens to give David's women to someone else.

11 “This is what the Lord says: ‘Out of your own household I am going to bring calamity on you. Before your very eyes I will take your wives and give them to one who is close to you, and he will sleep with your wives in broad daylight. 12 You did it in secret, but I will do this thing in broad daylight before all Israel.’”

And we note that their next owner was going to have sex with these women in public, because that was YHWH's way of punishing David. So again women appear to be, in YHWH's mind, just property.

That threat didn't happen, because David repented, but YHWH punishes someone else, who suffers death because David did something wrong.

We can think about YHWH's next threat in the next post.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

YHWH's threat didn't happen, because David repented, but then YHWH punishes someone else, who has to die, because David did something wrong.

Continuing to read in the Divine record:

15 After Nathan had gone home, the Lord struck the child that Uriah’s wife had borne to David, and he became ill. 16 David pleaded with God for the child. He fasted and spent the nights lying in sackcloth[b] on the ground. 17 The elders of his household stood beside him to get him up from the ground, but he refused, and he would not eat any food with them.

18 On the seventh day the child died.

So this unborn child is condemned to death, and has to die because his father did something wrong.

YHWH doesn't come out of this biblical experience looking good, does he?

• waton
    waton

the bible paints the creator (if any) of this grandiose universe as a terrible caricature.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

David is also a perfect example of how congregations work.

If you are "somebody" there is nothing you can do that will merit any punishment, as long as you are "repentant", or as one elder told me personally, "Just claim a moment of weakness, and then make a sizable $$$$$ contribution to the congregation. You'll get off with a slap on the wrist at the most."

On the other hand if you are just a chair warmer as the elders where I used to attend called anyone who was not "someone"; it won't matter how small the infraction is, you will never be "repentant" enough and will face the harshest of punishments from these Pharisees.

They are just imitating the examples in their Bible.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

All three of the major religions treat women as property. Judaism, christ-insanity, and islam are all guilty. I would just abandon all three of these filthy programs--all of which are curses on the whole human race intended to bring us into mass enslavement under Noahide Law. Hint: This panic we just had for the wimpiest "disease" on the planet is just a preview of what these three foul programs have in store for us all--ultimately, all of us are just property, and the women are even more so.

Where's the boycott of these filthy religions?

• Samcats
    Samcats

David's wives were taken in public by his son Absalom during his rebellion.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Yes, there is no disguising it….. women were considered as little more than property in OT times. Jesus changed all that ( read Mathew 19) and Christian husbands are under the command to “ Love their wives”

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Does that mean that Jehovah and Jesus are at odds with each other?

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Smiddy, commenting on the previous post by BluesBrother, asks,

"Does that mean that Jehovah and Jesus are at odds with each?"

That's the implication, No matter how believers try to explain the changes in attitudes and doctrines.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit