If YOU had to make the decision, would you respect a JW relatives wish to refuse a blood transfusion?

by nicolaou 152 Replies latest watchtower medical

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

My story is not as dramatic as some, but hear it goes.

My father was near the end of his life. His kidneys shut down and was undergoing dialysis. It was apparent that he was anemic and needed a transfusion. I talked with the nurse and explained that my father grew up a witness and would not want blood at this point in his life.

I decided to intervene out of respect for him. There was little downside to the decision, his time was limited and if blood helped sustain his life it would have been only for an extra few days.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

There are many nuances to every medical situation. If I knew that one of my parents wanted to be taken off a life-support system, if there was no hope of a quality life, I would respect their decision.

Of course, that would all be based on medical experts with years of practical experience, not Stephen Lett's daydreams. There's a HUGE difference!

DD

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Don't know if someone else already brought it up, but this question is closely related to this one:

If you find someone who just slit his wrists and he tells you 'please just let me die', would you call an ambulance?

Now you can argue that this is not the same situation as with a JW who has his signed medical directive while (supposedly) completely sane.

And it isn't the same situation. The suicidal person states his wishes while dying, he makes an active choice when it really counts.

A JW medical directive however was signed while using armchair philosophy.

The JW doesn't really know what his decision would be at when he was really dying. If he were conscious, he might have changed his mind now he's really in the situation.

For those coming up with alternative examples, e.g. suppose you found someone whois not depressed but slit his wrists anyway, and tells you 'please just let me die. I am dying of a terrible painful disease anyway, and my whole family was just murdered'. Would you call an ambulance?

Now it's more likely you just let him die, right?

And what if you know that what he believes (terminally I'll, family murdered) is actually not true at all?

In the examples above, does the wish of the person trump he need to help him?

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

There is a false dichotomy being presented here. I can respect someone and simultaneously not act in accord with their wishes. These are not mutually exclusive propositions.

Because I respect PEOPLE. But that doesn't mean I respect all ideas. There's a huge difference!

What a person wants to do with their body is their business. If someone is conscious and refuses blood I would try to convince them otherwise. And if they were unconscious and I was tasked with their welfare - I would make the most moral decision I could - in accordance with the sanctity of human life. Because human well being trumps personal preference EVERY single time.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    if they were unconscious and I was tasked with their welfare - I would make the most moral decision I could

This is the point I've been repeatedly making but it's ignored by so many. Hopefully your wording will work a bit better Coded Logic.

• JRK
    JRK

Dagney,

I understand your situation full well. I do not understand some dogmatic people that condemned me for just saying that I would respect my mother's wishes. They are usually the ones that are short-sighted and dogmatic about everything.

My mother is well into her nineties. They would challenge that I am a creep because I wouldn't transfuse her, but would have no problem with me signing a "do not resusitate order."

I think each case is different, and most people can STFU about their opinions.

JK

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I didn't condemn you JK, I politely asked you a question which you ignored. Why not address it now?

If your mother wished to eat fatally poisonous mushrooms because some witch doctor said they'd cure her arthritis would you serve them to her?
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou

And yes, of course I'm sympathetic to nuance and individual circumstance. A 90 year old parent receiving palliative care is not in the same situation as a 12 year old needing a transfusion.

But the principle remains. We must accept responsibility for our own choices.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    @CodedLogic: excellent point!
  • goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

My wife knows how i feel about the blood bullshit. she has told me that she will not take blood, not even a fraction.

she would rather die, guess what....if that what she wants, then let her die for the Borg and leave her husband and kids. sorry simon for cussing. BUT, SCREW HER!!!!!!!!! BRAINWASHED IDIOT!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit