If YOU had to make the decision, would you respect a JW relatives wish to refuse a blood transfusion?

by nicolaou 152 Replies latest watchtower medical

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    I would respect her wishes. There'd be no living with her afterwards if I did not.

There'd be no living with her at all if the worst happened.

Life before dogma.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I don't think my world view is objectively true, to the exclusion of all others. Nice blanket statement, BTW...

If my kid gets in an accident and needs a life-saving tranfusion, then that's what is going to happen, even if I have to kick every single JW out of the hospital ( because they will descend like a plague; Nevermind that they are nowhere to be found during the normal scheme of things..), talk to the Doctor in secret, and give my own f***ing blood to save my child!

Pull your head out of of your own reality for a moment, forget that you don't personally like Cofty, and read the heartbreaking stories of all those who wish they knew TTATT, and saved their loved ones who are GONE....

Ignorant, hypocritical, and harmful viewpoints do NOT deserve respect, especially when children are involved.

DD

• cofty
    cofty
    forget that you don't personally like Cofty, and ...

ouch - harsh!

Good points though.

I still want somebody to respond to Nic's challenge. What is the ethical difference?

• cofty
    cofty

So SBF you call me arrogant for making my decision which is based on a clear moral position.

You would overrule somebody's decision if you like them sufficiently but allow them to die if you didn't.

wow!

• Mephis
    Mephis
    They're meant to be christians, so I'm sure they'd forgive me for paying more attention to a doctor than supposed commands from a god I don't believe exists. The reversal of that is a bit more problematic as, if I'm dead, I'm hardly going to be in a position to do much of anything even if their beliefs prove correct.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    What do you mean? Cofty is my favourite poster. Why do you think I talk to him so much, Put it this way: if praying to God was the only way to save Cofty from some terrible accident I'd do it for him no matter how much he objected.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    would overrule somebody's decision if you like them sufficiently but allow them to die if you didn't.
    wow!

Yes it would depend how much I liked them. My default position on the issue is that people's wishes should be respected. But if put in a position where I'd lose someone I care about, and it's my decision to make, then I'd choose the selfish option and ask forgiveness after.

• cofty
    cofty
    And I would do the same for anybody as a matter of principle whether I liked them or not.
  • cofty
    cofty
    Some people seem to have difficulty with the idea that two people can disagree passionately but still like and respect each other.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

No hang on. Maybe I'd also allow blood transfusions for some JWs I really don't like as well, just out of spite.

So that's people I really like and people I really dislike I'd give blood. It's just the people in the middle I am not bothered either way whose wishes I'd respect when it comes to the crunch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit