human rights versus mental health?

by Ruby456 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

I don't know if I am correct in the direction my thoughts are going in -

but ought mental health be considered when we insist on human rights? is there a clash here?

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

I think there may be a clash but haven't as yet been able to clarify what the clash is

was reading a link regarding the recent gathering regarding child abuse attended by lawyers, someone from the charity commission - Johnathon Udin I think - and an academic from Oxford university and Bo Juel Jensen and others. This got me thinking ...cos mental health often forms part of the reasoning of those opposing Jehovahs witnesses to the extent that Bo Juel Jensen does

any takers

• Ruby456
  • Giordano
    Giordano
    but ought mental health be considered when we insist on human rights? is there a clash here?

I am not sure what you are alluding to. But will give it a go.

The clash comes about when a set of beliefs overrides normal human concerns and needs. The True Believer's mantra is....'dear Lord thank you for my daily bread and my daily delusion.'

A JW feels safe in the cocoon of their beliefs which unfortunately are mentally delusional.

So normally decent people can act out in horrendous ways that deny people normal human rights when they think they are serving a religion or a personal god.

In most civilized countries human rights are the top priority. In countries that put their religion first......... human rights are degraded.

Child Abuse is a mental health issue as well as a societal issue. One either understands that a child needs to be respected and protected from any conduct that can be harmful emotionally and physically or one believes they can do whatever they want with a child as long as they can get away with it.

As far as Mr. Bo Juel Jensen goes everyone should oppose the WTBTS with honesty and accuracy.

This is a religion that represents some of the worse aspects of religion..... namely they are reckless with their made up beliefs, The health and welfare of their members......their anti educational stance, their misogynistic organization. They are a 19th century religion that promotes the 19th century beliefs of that era in an ignorant and malicious way.

Imagine a religion that believes their god will destroy billions so they can build a paradise earth over the bones of the dead. Now that right there is an example of a religion that has a severe mental illness.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

imagination is a key development of Humans - I think we are all delusional to an extent - not of course to the extent of mental illness - but in our ability to entertain fiction -

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

giordano

Imagine a religion that believes their god will destroy billions so they can build a paradise earth over the bones of the dead. Now that right there is an example of a religion that has a severe mental illness

such a god isn't reaching beyond or transcending human experience but has very contradictory features - but if this was a human rights issue then what about our weapons of mass destruction - can those be equated with mankind having mental illness too or are these to be taken in a pragmatic sense?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit