You just never know

by scratchme1010 5 Replies latest jw friends

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I finally decided to join LinkedIn. I have been in technology for all my adult life, so I am one of those who don't like to communicate and socialize using technology. However, I decided to join because I started to feel left out.

I have kept my profile private for the time being. Most of the time I have been working on making my profile look as perfect, accurate and reflective of the kind of professional I am. However, as a preventive measure I have been looking for people I want to block. I have blocked a rather large number of people.

My career path hasn't been perfect. I have burned a few bridges behind me. All things considered, though, I think I have done a great job managing my career. My parents had a fourth grade formal education, and growing up a JW, discouraged from pursuing higher education. I had to learn everything all by myself. Never had a mentor, never had anyone (nor access to reliable information) that could guide me in my career. It was all me. However, I'm not stupid, and I am a very fast learner. I did find my way in my career, learned from mistakes, grew and defined a career path that I feel proud of.

But back to blocking people in LinkedIn. I started with ill-intended people who purposely attempted to cause harm to my reputation and my career. (As a side note, it's interesting to see how just like everybody in Facebook is happy, everybody in LinkedIn is a kick-ass expert. A lot of misrepresentation and over-inflated statements there). People keep popping up as suggested connections. I think that the suggested connections feature is a little obnoxious, but it's great for blocking people.

It didn't take too many clicks for people from my former life as a JW to start popping up. Block, block, block. It felt a little creepy seeing pictures of the faces of people I haven't seen or heard of in decades. Blocking them all as a preventive measure felt as good as way back when I left them behind. It was a good exercise (or reminder) in making sure the boundaries I set are properly maintained today.

However, today i realized that not everything is negative and bad. Back in 1995 I found myself working in a program for what they used to call "at-risk youth". These kids were coming out of the Juvenile Detention Center in New Jersey, and I was one of their instructors. Back then I was also starting my career in IT, and I was studying for a Novell certification (god I'm old!). I was the computer teacher.

This one student, his name was Johnny, 16 at the time, loved my computer class. He was like a knowledge sponge. He told me that he never had the opportunity to learn about them before. I encouraged him to help me setup my computer lab, and he was always wanting me to give him some computer to fix or take apart. We developed a great relationship, and one day he introduced me to his mom. She was a single mother and raised him by herself since he was 2. Later I learned that Johnny was actually trying to set me up with his mom. I was truly some kind of father figure to him. I moved on to another job a year later or so and I never heard of him again.

I found him in LinkedIn today. He's a systems Engineer and has a Master's degree. Made me feel very proud. I never thought that I could be a good influence to anyone. That's not the message I got from my family or from the congregations I grew up in. I can't believe the little that I did for him was the beginning of what seems to be a great career. That's so great to see.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Very nice. Congrats on making a difference.

Reminds me of a quote:

A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child.

Forest E. Witcraft
    Teacher, Scholar

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi Scratchme1010,

I'm sitting here this AM drinking my coffee....What a nice topic to read early in the AM...So happy you made a difference in your life and then paid it forward....Could you imagine if we all helped one...if we all reached back and helped someone then we all move forward....

@Audesapere: Great quote...will remember it...also reminds me of MLK, he says if I can help just one somebody then my living has not been in vain....I think we all should have an attitude towards our fellow man.....if you can bring a smile to someone face that day, you done good....

Scratchne1010, I know you feel good about influencing someone....no you won't get that in the hall, why? Because most of the friends don't have it to give .....most witnesses come from some type of home...divided, one parent was zealous for the truth...you can't ask folks to give what they don't have...witnesses only encourage you if it's towards the org. Most can't show love....because most never came from a loving home...oh yeah, they were good witnesses but not good humans...

I tend to feel sorry for witnesses...I'm one, but not drinking the kool-aide...Everyday, I come to this site hoping something will be exposed of the org. so I can live....(perhaps I'm a punk)....but I'm starting to say certain things and folks are kind of listening....so if I faded.....oh they would miss me...I'm pretty popular, not because I'm pioneer or anything special, just a genuine loving person....

So Scratchme 1010...I'm so happy for you and the person you influenced...Go on and live your life...Be successful but don't let it go to your head...be balanced...be kind to others... you never know who else you may influence....

Much happiness and congrats.

Tor

• DJS
    DJS

scratchme,

Heart warming story (yes, class, DJS has a heart - I take it out of the black box once or twice a month so that it won't get moldy).

I'm proud of you. Full speed ahead No. 1. Engage.

• Iamallcool
  • crazyhorse
    crazyhorse

I like the way you write so straightforward. I look forward to the day I will forget all those JW guys and block them !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit