Part 4 of 5 : Isaiah 9:6 'The everlasting Father'

by JW Answers 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JW Answers
    JW Answers

Part four of Isaiah 9:6 series, explaining why the Lord Jesus was referred to as 'the everlasting Father'.

Watch this video here at :

The everlasting Father

• JW Answers
    JW Answers

The Lord Jesus was a father figure over Israel, especially when He led Israel out of Egypt. The Apostle Paul explains in 1 Corinthians 20, that it was the Lord Jesus who sent the fiery serpents to Israel for chastisement, indicating that He ruled over them.

We later see that the Pre-incarnate Lord Jesus fed, watered and guided Israel.

As he cared for Israel as a Father, there are times when the OT saints were as Father's over Israel. Abraham being the Founding Father over the nation of Israel.

Abraham being made a Father over many nations

Genesis 17:1-5 KJV
    And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect. And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly. And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying, As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations. Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

Eliakim, the son of Hilkiah: Became a Father over Jerusalem.

Isaiah 22:20-21 KJV
    And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will call my servant Eliakim the son of Hilkiah: And I will clothe him with thy robe, and strengthen him with thy girdle, and I will commit thy government into his hand: and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah.

Christ is a father figure over Israel, as He established Israel, brought them out of Egypt and gave them the land.

John 1:6-11 KJV
    There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

John 21:4-6 KJV
    But when the morning was now come, Jesus stood on the shore: but the disciples knew not that it was Jesus. Then Jesus saith unto them, Children, have ye any meat? They answered him, No. And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes.

Matthew 23:37 KJV
    O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

Everlasting : Christ is also the Father of time and eternity.

From Everlasting:

Micah 5:2 KJV
    But thou, Beth-lehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

Christ as the creator of ALL things, including time:

John 1:1-3 KJV
    In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. [2] The same was in the beginning with God. [3] All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

And Christ existed before time begun.

John 17:4 KJV
    I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

• cofty
    cofty

Why don't you ever acknowledge the many texts that show Jesus to be inferior to the father?

The Bible does not present a consistent Christology.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

You said - "Paul explains in 1 Corinthians 20, that it was the Lord Jesus who sent the fiery serpents to Israel for chastisement, indicating that He ruled over them."

Please supply the correct scripture. I've searched through every chapter of 1 Corinthians, but can't find what you mentioned.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Why is there a perpetual ambiguity between the Biblical Son of God and his father?

Because it is drawn from pagan folk myth at least stretching back to the Mesolithic period.

There were two solar gods, one the offspring of the other and they joined each spring equinox to rule the heavens together.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Gen.1: 26 " And God went on to say" Let us make man in our image according to our likeness "

So the bottom line here is there are / were more than one God mentioned here. He had peers.

According to Jehovah`s Witnesses this is Jehovah speaking , so who is " us" spoken of here ? and who is "our image " spoken of here and finally ,who is he talking about when he says " in our image according to our likeness."

• peacefulpete
  • lriddle80
    lriddle80

There are definitely scriptures that can make a case for both sides. I side with Thomas who, when seeing Jesus after being resurrected, exclaimed, ,"My Lord and my God"

Jesus didn't correct him.

But I also believe you can't be spoon fed this belief. It's like an oyster who gets something in his shell and works on it and works on it until it finally becomes a pearl.

That's been my experience anyway. To each his own.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit