Italian Bridges

by Simon 7 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

What is it with Italy, should it really be so risky driving across a bridge in a developed country?!

I know there is China Virus happening, but bridges haven't just gone to shit in the last month.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52213898

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I suspect the influence of organised crime having sucked the quality from these civil engineering projects and converting it into corrupt cash. I know that is a sweeping generalisation but overall I believe that is a factor in Italian public life.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Reluctance to spend money on existing structures?

Italy is subject to seismic activity...

Particularly in the south (the bridge in question is north of centre) the Mafia have always been involved in road and construction projects, the job gets done but with inadequate foundations.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5
    This place wasn’t prepared for road transportation, let alone covid19
  • vivalavida
    vivalavida

What is it with Italy, should it really be so risky driving across a bridge in a developed country?!

Exactly my question...

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Slidin Fast has it right . After the terrible collapse of one bridge, maybe two years ago ? it was publicly stated that sub-standard cement, supplied through Mafia owned Companies, was to blame.

• Simon
    Simon
    it was publicly stated that sub-standard cement, supplied through Mafia owned Companies, was to blame.

That seems like a convenient excuse for someone - someone was responsible for building and maintaining the bridge, didn't they inspect things?

They massively reduced their maintenance budgets, maybe that would be more the likely cause ...

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think that you are right Simon, knowing well the Italian mindset and the way they operate, i.e a political system both national and local, that just chunters along, and I am sure is as bad or worse than many other Countries.

The collapse I was referring to killed a good number of people, but I have not heard that there was a big Inquiry, let alone a Court case, maybe there was, and I missed it, but if not, there should have been !

The same as there should be an accounting of Governments and Officials who have been negligent with handling the present crisis. Thousands will have died before their time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit