E-mail chains that became doctrine

by paradiseseeker 7 Replies latest jw friends

• paradiseseeker
    paradiseseeker

Digimon, Pokemon, Hello Kitty, "Waka Waka" by Shakira... are things that all of a sudden became frowned upon because of a random menopausal JW housewife that read an e-mail chain that said that those things were Satanic.

Furthermore, we were explicitly warned about Pokemon and Waka Waka from the platform of a district convention.

Have you experienced more examples of such mastery of critical thinking?

• stillin
    stillin

We had a district convention speaker who was covering

demonized and satanic entertainment. I'm sure that it was not in his outline when, as he was discussing heavy metal music, he said "I'm not talking about just Led Zeppelin or that type of music."

Inside I made a mental note that I now had a free pass. I knew others who drew the same conclusion: heavy metal bad, rock and roll good.

• Half banana
    Half banana

JW thinking is simplified thinking. Instead of a nuanced appreciation of life's wonders, JW brains have been re-wired to put all ideas into one of two boxes designed by the governing body and they are labelled: GB approved or Satanic.

On top of this childish over-simplification there is the matter of narcissism, the excess of self love to which the governing body attribute all importance to themselves. Notice for example how they have now cornered the market in heavenly rewards! So anything which takes the focus of attention of the flock away from the leadership is bound to be pronounced a bad thing and therefore should be put into the 'Satan' box.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

This kind of thing was not unique to JWs sadly...

Check out this great presentation by Seth Andrews:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iW6UoIjy5F4

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Have you experienced more examples of such mastery of critical thinking?

Way back when there were people in the congregation who were obsessed with that shit. One woman in my congregation started scrutinizing my father's blazer buttons because they had some kind of symbol that may be satanic. That's the stupidest thing ever.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Yup. Almost a decade ago when Avatar was all the rage, the CO at our circuit ass. mentioned the movie and then said,

'Did you know that the word Avatar comes from Hindu gods? Look it up!'

Now keep in mind I was fully PIMI at the time, but I didn't let this one slide. I thought

"Of COURSE I know that. But it has nothing at all to do with the movie! The word Avatar is even used to describe thumbnails for online users. It's used illustratively. This guy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about."

• Freedom rocks
    Freedom rocks

The story is how Hello Kitty came to be…that a mother or father, depending on the version of the story had a child that had cancer. The parent made a pact with the devil that if the child was cured they would create a character in the devil’s honor that would be adored worldwide. There are different variations but they all boil down to the point that Hello Kitty is evil and that God fearing people should stay away from any HK products as they are affiliated with the devil and devil worship.

• paradiseseeker
    paradiseseeker
    The story is how Hello Kitty came to be…that a mother or father, depending on the version of the story had a child that had cancer. The parent made a pact with the devil that if the child was cured they would create a character in the devil’s honor that would be adored worldwide. There are different variations but they all boil down to the point that Hello Kitty is evil and that God fearing people should stay away from any HK products as they are affiliated with the devil and devil worship.

Exactly, and if you combine Luke 6:45 saying "for out of the heart’s abundance his mouth speaks" with the fact that HK doesn't have a mouth = UTTER SATANISM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit