English as a first language

by road to nowhere 6 Replies latest jw friends

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Pronunciation is so hard. The butchered word this time is scourge pronounced as skorj. 4 different people, maybe because the reader did it first.

These same ones also pronounce the w in sword.

A pet peeve of mine is blatantly not learning how to speak and pronounce the native tongue

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ROAD TO NOWHERE:

Unfortunately, this is a lost cause in today’s world.

We would be seen as grammar nazis by people who were not schooled right. Or, they’ll get snotty like ‘who cares about things like that’...In the uneducated world we live in there are probably many people who have no idea what the word “scourge” actually means. They would have to reach for their dictionary..those who actually possess a dictionary that is.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

English is my mother tongue, too.

In some respects it's a good thing - English is a world language (a macro-language, as linguists call it), and the language of the internet.

But in other ways, it's not that good - ethnic English people (myself included) tend to be crap at learning other languages. The fact that English is a world language has made us lazy.

As Ricky Gervais has said:

"You don't need to speak French in France. If you're on holiday in France, speak English. If they can't understand you, try speaking louder. If that doesn't work, just smash the place up, secure in the knowledge that you've tried your best!" XD

But seriously, we English are often lazy when it comes to learning foreign languages.

Not everyone fits this stereotype - my aunt's partner is a Londoner who went and lived in France for over 20 years. He learnt the language and is totally fluent. In fact, he has a daughter with his ex-wife (who's French), and his daughter lives in France and speaks only French. She speaks some English but only as much as the average French person - her English dad didn't bother making her bilingual.

• TD
    TD

More people speaking a language = More regional accents and pronunciations

• sir82
    sir82

More than one Theocratic Ministry School overseer:

"Correct pronounciation is so important..."

• Magnum
    Magnum

Now you've got me wondering where you are. I've heard the same two in my area ("skorj" and "sWord").

Another one I heard often is "apostle" with the "t" pronounced.

Also, Bible character Jonathan pronounced "Joe Nathan".

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Other than neither coast of the US, is all I can say. The esteem given ignorance is widespread.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit