Talked to my brother for the first time about my view of the Watchtower

by Nomad Soul 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Nomad Soul
    Nomad Soul

Two days ago I had a conversation with my older brother. I've been inactive for 4 months now, and he invited me to the Kingdom Hall. I calmly said , "No thanks." He asked me why? I told him, I don't believe in religion anymore. Especially the JW. He once asked why. I should've kept my mouth shut, but I talked to him what made me leave, (which did not have anything to do with the Watchtower). My reason not to believe in God or in religion is, that I don't want to live forever. Then I mentioned that the Watchtower was a cult. I mentioned the UN (I mentioned to him months ago). And the child molestion problem ( I have him an example of the congregation I was in). After that, he told me not to speak to him anymore. I agreed.

I don't know why he hasn't exposed me to my parents as an "apostate". Or to the elders of the congregation I went to. But if he does, I already have been to the worst with my parents.

• DJ
    DJ
    My reason not to believe in God or in religion is, that I don't want to live forever.

Hi Nomad,

I suppose that there must be more than one way to understand that sentence. It sounds like you are depressed. It sounds also like you are saying that you do believe in an afterlife but just don't want it. Give yourself time away from the wt false teachings and your family. Depression is common with jw's and I'm afraid that you've caught it. Living in confusion is terrible. Anxiety causes depression and if you do something kind for someone else it will lift. Please don't give up on God because of the lies that the wt taught you about Him. There is hope. The wt has false hopes. (((((((((((Nomad))))))))))) Take care, dj

• Francois
    Francois

Good advice from DJ, I think. Given your experiences, your reaction is all but predictable. But remember this: you may give up on God; God will not give up on you. Even now the living spirit of the one God is active in your heart/mind, anxious heal your spiritual wounds and to show you the truth. However, unlike the JWs, this indwelling spirit will never drive you to a belief in its power; the spirit only leads, never drives. And in each and every crossroads where you might be uncertain about what to do, about which way to go to be in compliance with the will of God, this spirit will speak, saying, "This is the way." All you have to do is learn how to listen to its small, still voice.

Good Luck,
    francois

• shamus
    shamus

Hang in there, OK? Give it time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit