Sometimes I feel like I Should Believe something...

by freemamaof3 50 Replies latest jw experiences

• Not This
    Not This

I have gone all over the map in my search for God/No God

I have searched many spiritual paths and similar threads run through all of them thus far.

The one I listen to is my own inner self because that is who came into this world with me and the one that will be with me on my last breath.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Believe that you don't have to believe their crap anymore

• LV101
    LV101

cyberJ - great line and I believe (what you say).

• Believer
    Believer

FreeMamaof3, There is pressure from both sides. One side pressures you to believe something, the other side pressures you to reject all beliefs. I say, don’t listen to either side. Sit quietly by yourself. Breathe. Be open to your own thoughts, your own truth. Observe nature. Look at the stars. Consider your fondest wishes, dreams, hopes. What does it feel like? Where is your peace? If your peace flows from deep seated desire to know God, to understand what his will is, why we are here, what the future holds, then that’s a sign that believing in a greater being is your truth. On the other hand, if what flows from within you is to reject God and all that accompanies the God concept, then go with that. Life, and life after life, is a gift. If in your deepest soul you don’t want it, God will let you live your truth. You are free to live out your mortal existence until your body wears out or something intervenes and takes your life. Many atheists say they are content with that outcome. And perhaps, just perhaps, your decaying carcass will feed new life that may make a different choice.

• cofty
    cofty

Could there ever be a clearer example of the hypocrisy of christian theists?

I say, don’t listen to either side - Believer.

Then read the rest of Believer's crass sermon.

"If in your deepest soul you don’t want it, God will let you live your truth. You are free to live out your mortal existence until your body wears out or something intervenes and takes your life. Many atheists say they are content with that outcome. And perhaps, just perhaps, your decaying carcass will feed new life that may make a different choice."

Pathetic.

• cofty
    cofty
    the other side pressures you to reject all beliefs - Believer

This is a lie.

Our beliefs should be commensurate with the evidence. I believe in a lot of things.

Theism makes extraordinary claims based on no evidence, In fact it requires you to ignore an overwhelming body of compelling evidence to the contrary.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

There's plenty to believe in. I've learnt you don't need to base it around fairytales, bad science or superstition.

• Believer
    Believer

I guess some atheists don’t accept the idea that we have an internal sense about things, or that a person can trust their own thinking. It seems unless a matter can be proven by empirical evidence, it is unreasonable to accept it. Yet there are so many wonderful things in life that are subjective and that can’t be proven by empirical evidence. Like love. Like beauty. Like joy. Why does the atheist sound like the grim reaper? Why does he have to say “Bah humbug” to even benign thoughts? All I said was you should trust yourself. Why is that such a bugaboo?

• cofty
    cofty

You have bought into a lot of silly stereotypes. This atheist believes in love and joy and beauty and the awesomeness of the cosmos. In fact I am constantly fascinated by everything around me; unlike creationists who dismiss everything with a lazy, "god-did-it".

If we want to know what is true about the world only objective facts and evidence counts.

Stop confusing your superstitions with reality.

• Spiral
    Spiral

It's a funny thing, given I was raised a JW, once I quit going I quit believing. Like a switch turned off. It feels great.

I realize that is unusual. I'm sure it actually means I never did believe, I just felt obligated. I do not feel the need to replace JW-ism with anything else.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit