Interesting news - Supreme court throws out case against Watchtower.

by pleaseresearch 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pleaseresearch
    pleaseresearch

So my Mum sent me this link, I need to speak to her about how she feels about this. Maybe she didn't even read it. But the website looks to Pro JW. But the article which is found on the 8th October is very detailed. But its funny that it mentions JWSurvey :)

https://forjahovahwithnesses.wordpress.com/page/1/?ref=spelling

• Spiral
    Spiral

Where is this from? The spelling and grammar is way off.

• stillin
    stillin

Please research, I have to admit, I don't know how to take that website. It sort of seems like the kind of news website that the WT should have had for years, but it is obviously not a WT site and the news items are questionable. My opinion is that it is run by somebody very favorable to the WT, which makes the news articles suspect to "spin" or ""tweaking."

But thanks for bringing it up.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Jehovah is misspelled several times on that page, including in the web address, and written with a lower case j - 'jahovah.' And whoever wrote it used everyone's favorite mispronunciation of the religion's name, 'Jehovah Witnesses.'

• Simon
    Simon

I always found it grating when people said "Jehovah Witness" but now that I think about it, doesn't it make more sense grammatically?

Jehovah is singular, not a collective, so you are a "Jehovah Witness" (a Witness to Jehovah). You are one of "Jehovah's Witnesses" but saying "I am a Jehovahs's Witness" is just wrong.

Like if you said you were a "Bob Dylan Fan". You are one of "Bob Dylan's Fans", you don't say "I am a Bob Dylan's Fan".

Incidentally, as a far more devoted Bob Dylan fan than I ever was a Jehovah Witness, I can recommend "The Rolling Thunder Revue" on Netflix, about his 1975 tour which was ... well, probably an incredible shambles but also genius in motion 'cause he really was at his best. The best part is the rock superstar driving his own tour bus ...

And yes, hats and white face-paint ("why" is explained)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUD5snx-XOo

• carla
    carla

For most people (non jw) they see 'jehovah witness' much as you would say, Lutheran, Catholic, etc... simply defining which 'church' you belong to. I still find it a bit humorous when someone says, "a big jehovah knocked on my door", (big meaning very zealous) or " a bunch of jehovah's were in the neighborhood", "the jehovah's came by and I didn't answer my door!" and so on. They have no idea that they are probably really offending the jw's when they say things like that.

Don't even get me started about having to explain that jw's don't go to 'church' they don't have 'churches' they have kh's!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The way things are going, it's gonna be "Branch Jehovians" before too long. :smirk:

• zophar
    zophar

I agree Simon. You could even properly say I am Jehovah’s Witness. You are Jehovah’s (possessive form or tense) witness. It somehow doesn’t sound right and I bet a true JW would be suspicious of someone who used that expression, but grammatically I think it is proper.

• blondie
    blondie

In day's gone past, the WTS/GB made a big point that it not should be "Jehovah's Witnesses" but "one of Jehovah's witnesses" (because it should not like a religion's name) and if Jehovah's Witnesses were used, the "w" should be lower case, Jehovah's witnesses.

1968 Note how they used a lower case w, but also they said that in 1917 that there were Jehovah's witnesses, but that name was not take on by the WTS until 1931.

By 1917 Jehovah’s witnesses had clearly seen that Matthew 24:7, 8 was having fulfillment. Nation had risen against nation.

About the same time that Kingdom Farm had been the object of threatened assault and arson, trouble flared up against Jehovah’s witnesses in Litchfield, Illinois.

and also this appellation

They were Jehovah’s Christian witnesses now because they had faith in God’s Son, Christ Jesus, who redeemed them from death, and they believed in the kingdom of God.

around 1990

Eventually the WTS dropped "Jehovah's Christian witnesses" because some outside group copyrighted the name "Jehovah's Christian Witnesses."

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/78640/jehovahs-christian-witnesses

Which is why the WTS changed to the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses

January 1, 2001 (2002 Kingdom Ministry

the Governing Body has approved the formation of additional corporations to care for certain needs of Jehovah’s Witnesses here in the United States. The new corporations are as follows:

Christian Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit