Ever bump in to a JW acquaintance at the gym?

by Vetiver 8 Replies latest social physical

• Vetiver
    Vetiver

This has happened to me on 4 occasions. 3 times it was an elder and I simply pretended I didn't know him and avoided eye contact. The other time was someone of my age that didn't really talk to me of the opposite sex. I still remember she wouldn't make eye contact me whenever I had the privilege of shaking her limp hand. I ignored her also. I didn't want to break my focus honestly. Besides, being at the gym is you time. Since I've been going to the gym since 2002 though, I've noticed that's it's the activity hub I have bumped in to a witness the least. Anyone else have an experience at your local gym or Zumba class? No, I'll never do Zumba either.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    I've been out for too long for me to remember, notice or care. What's wrong with Zumba?
  • truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I'm surprised!

1 Timothy 4:8 always seemed to be the scripture that made Witnesses shy away from the gym. After all, that's time you could of spent on "kingdom interests".

It also made me wonder why being obese isn't a disfellowshipping offense. If smoking is a disfellowshipping sin because the smoker is intentionally desecrating his body ("temple") then why isn't sucking down $0.99 cheeseburgers at McDonalds? You are always more likely to run into a Witness around 11:00AM at a McDonalds (field service break) than at anytime at a gym.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

Yeah I did, actually. I only saw him there once and I'm there all of the time.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I've only ever bumped into my doctor in the gym, every January. By February he's gone.

• What Now?
    What Now?

Yes. At a Zumba class haha. She was actually friendly, asked me about my kids and showed me pictures of her niece and nephew. Then the next class a couple of days later, she completely ignored me and didn't make eye contact. Must have gotten a talking to from her husband lol

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

VETIVER:

Whether it's the gym or somewhere else, this is an example of JW shunning routine.

It can even be by a Witness who doesn't really know you. Sometimes it's because they heard something "bad" about you. Sometimes it's not about you at all and things are not right with them....Whatever the reason, I experienced this over the years - and even back when I was "in". Years ago when I went to a certain laundromat, a Witness from a neighboring hall who I knew by sight would ignore me. Whatever.

Witness shunning worked BOTH ways as far as I was concerned...If I ever saw any of these stuck-up or shunning Witnesses in trouble I would walk in the opposite direction!

• Done
    Done

Been out just over 2 years. (not df or da just left one meeting and never came back).

Saw someone from that Congo at the grocery store this month. Wouldn't even make eye contact with me.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

no risk of anyone bumping into me at a gym. i wouldnt know what to do in one.. im just a happy fat git.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit