Beleif in the Bible ?

by smiddy3 7 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Thousands of years ago .

Genesis Chapter 11: 1-9 and how GOD was affected by what man planned to do ?

Build a tower into the heavens ? Their is no end to what he may acheive having only one language .

Today, in the year 2022.

Not only are modern skyscrapers taller than anything that could have been built with the Tower of Babel in Bible times ,but what is acheivable today in space far exceeds anything that could have been acheived back then.

And GOD / Jehovah is silent ?

The artificial objects leaving the Solar System are all space probes and the upper stages of their launch vehicles, all launched by NASA. Three of the probes, Voyager 1, Voyager 2, and New Horizons are still functioning and are regularly contacted by radio communication, while Pioneer 10 and Pioneer 11 are now derelict. In addition to these spacecraft, some upper stages and de-spin weights are leaving the Solar System, assuming they continue on their trajectories.

These objects are leaving the Solar System because their velocity and direction are taking them away from the Sun, and at their distance from the Sun, its gravitational pull is not sufficient to pull these objects back or into orbit. They are not impervious to the gravitational pull of the Sun and are being slowed, but are still traveling in excess of escape velocity to leave the Solar System and coast into interstellar space.

Isn`t that food for thought !

Like to make a comment ?

• waton
    waton

fix that title . or be like - Leif Erikson the voyager / explorer.

at the same time the strength of the space warp/ gravity from other bodies like the nearest stars increases. At some point the probes will accelerate again, becoming curiosities for far away and far into the future observers if any.

[be] Leif Erikson voyageur from the french "to look". your pun looks good.

And GOD / Jehovah is silent ?

He was silent when N. Armstrong sat foot on the moon, a messenger from The pinnacle of Satan's system, to which The "god of this planet" had been confined in 1914, leaving and barred from all heavenly places. see wt illustrations.

apparently nature, creation favours the successful, so wait and see wether astronauts, probes and Musk will have the longterm approval of the deity.

frankly, space is a bleak, dark place. thank you, not me.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

And if the story is a metaphor or allegory, one has to wonder what God was trying to prevent. Was He really determined to stop humans from banding together and creating a great work that might unite them and teach them that with cooperation and hard work, anything was within their reach? I mean, in a way, God deliberately created the situation that exists today, with different groups of people endlessly at one another's throats. What if he had blessed their efforts instead, and offered them rewards if they would build him an equally grandiose temple?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    smid - Build a tower into the heavens ? Their is no end to what he may acheive having only one language .

.....and along comes Google Translate.

I don't have any confidence that the Bible is a 'Holy' book, anymore than Spider-man comics. Both can be enjoyable reading but mostly fiction. I say 'mostly' because in Spider-man comics, he lives in a real place. Does this prove he exists, just because NYC is real?

It's all been a big grift for those unscrupulous enough to realise they can cash in on people's superstitions. I admit, being brought up as a Jobot, I was conned too.

It pains me to see folk going deep into what a scripture/s mean. They study thoroughly. They don't agree on things, even after that.

Don't they realise they've been conned into believing rubbish by clever grifters? Grifters that have the knack of making them feel special for knowing stuff from a book of metaphors. It saddens me to the heart of my bottom.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

The story of the Tower of Babel is proof that the god of the Bible cheated in an attempt to win. The writer specifically puts into words at Genesis 11:6 The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. - NIV

What would be impossible for them? NOTHING!!!

• ZaneM44
    ZaneM44

The original Hebrew word "shamayim" translated as "heavens" at Ge 11:4 is referring to the sky. You know, where the birds fly.

They wanted the tower to be tall so they could climb it if there was another flood. Their intent was not to reach the abode of God.

And it wasn't the tower that God was upset about. The problem was that they were going against His command to spread out and fill the earth. (Ge 1:28; 9:1)

They wanted to build a city and gather together in one place.

So what did God do? He confused their languages. And what was the purpose? To scatter them.

(Genesis 11:8, 9) Jehovah scattered them from there over the entire face of the earth, and they gradually left off building the city. 9 That is why it was named Baʹbel, because there Jehovah confused the language of all the earth, and Jehovah scattered them from there over the entire face of the earth.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

waton, you are right ,the title is stupid ,maybe I should Have said Something like ,

"Was God really afraid of what man could acheive under one language ?

But I`m not pc savvy anyhow

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Zane has a really good explanation here. Were I a believer, I would go with it.

However, I refer to my previous opinion that religion is just a big grift that we got drawn in to and is an utter waste of time.

Eg - So what did God do?

My answer, Nothing. It didn't happen. It's all fiction. I'm yet to see evidence of a god or gods.

First prove to me that the Bible is 'Holy'. Not just by the book proving the book. Or prophecy being fulfilled when we're not even sure the prophecy pre-dates the event. If it even happened at all.

I'm sure 'scholars will say....' but they're probably in with the grift.

Do you see my dilemma?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit