Speculation? What would Watchtower be now if it had fully embraced the internet / technology 20 years ago

by joe134cd 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

This has probably been discussed before so please feel free to include links as well. So what would Wt be now if it had encouraged it's members to use the Internet or technology for spreading the good news.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I have a strong feeling if the Watchtower had fully embraced the internet, there would be more JWs leaving than there were. I know it was the aid of the internet that helped me in figuring it all out. In my case I had almost every book dating back to the 1950s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. When I started my research, the kind folks who put together so much information and where to exactly find this information in my very own books at home. If I had gotten onto the internet much sooner, I would have left that cult that much sooner.

• smiddy
    smiddy

They would have been history , just a smidgen of what they are today.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

G O N E. Let's hope it doesn't take 20 more.

Snakes (Rich)

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Open unregulated information and knowledge is killing the Watchtower Corporation and its designated sales representatives the JWS.

Back in the mid 1980's the WTS actually demeaned computers and their use, sighting them as building a tower of power and information.

True !

• Tallon
    Tallon

Modern technology ie. the www; has certainly exposed the Org for what it truly is; a farce. The only downside is that we did not have this technology back in 'our day'.

Had we had this technology back in the 70's to 90's, then, IMO, the WTBTS as we know it today, would be nothing more than a minority religion, scrabbling 'for crumbs' to find to some relevance.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I think that that's what the WT has to do with any new advance in technology. They can't just embrace it, especially if it's a new technology that does some things that only the Internet can do: (1) provide lots of information (both reliable and unreliable) to people, massively and in real time and (2) Unite all the people they have shunned so they can now compare notes and unite.

The WT had to prepare a good response to their crop, so they cannot just open them to the world of the Internet without ensuring that their interests are safe and taken care of first.

The same thing happened with TV. I remember how many warnings there were about the "dangers" of TV, just like the "dangers of the Internet".

Anything new that could pose a possible threat to them will be forbidden until they find a way to "let" their people use it and remain in control.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

This has probably been discussed before so please feel free to include links as well. So what would Wt be now if it had encouraged it's members to use the Internet or technology for spreading the good news.

The WT would have OWNED the 'net

hundreds of thousands of personal websites

hundreds of millions of comments/postings/pages

could have been massive

• Mephis
    Mephis

One of the reasons for them initially trying to stamp out internet use was that initial surge of JWs online leading some to getting non-approved information and then asking awkward questions. (I remember the various bits about it in the 90s in their publications - "would you invite an apostate into your home?"). At the time, digital media was limited by access and cost (metered connections at 56k!) so it wasn't even a way for them to reliably distribute the WT as a text document.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Back in early stages of the Inter - net there were a couple of Web sites that popped up showing the wrongful doctrines made by the WTS even using the WTS's own literature.

The WTS found these sites and made a counter attack of their own directly at the owners of these sites, influenced and instigated by their own legal department.

People got scared and intimidated from them and removed their sites, since they didn't have the money to back them up legally against the WTS and their own legal representatives.

Now days there are many web sites such as JWfacts that are exposing the vile corruption and deceit of this religoius organization / Publishing house..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit