Enjoying autumn

by kaik 9 Replies latest social family

• kaik
    kaik

For some reason, I love autumn . I always did as kid. Warm days, and cool nights, changing leaves, sunny days of the Indian summer or Eastern European equivalent called "grandma summer". Adding Halloween and Thanksgiving into the season, only increases my love for this time of the year. I find Thanksgiving to be the nicest American holiday, and true heritage of the nation. This weekend we will do some decoration for Halloween, and carve pumpkins. I got couple plastic gravestones and I need to buy a tons of candies.

Another reason I love autumn weather that some of my shrubs blooms in the fall. I have camellias that bloom either in the fall or spring, but only the fall one are scented. I have several species that are rare with a huge peony flowers that squirrels love to pick and eat. Also my encore azaleas only bloom in the fall until the first frost. Daphne reblooms after it goes dormant over the summer.

Do any of you doing anything special as a family during the fall? Do you carve pumpkins and decorate for Halloween?

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

gorgeous

I adore the changing colours of autumn leaves. It really is the time of year to experience magic and anything to do with dying. must go and take a sniff of my camellias if my giant wolf spiders will let me

• Magnum
    Magnum

I love autumn; has always been my favorite time of year. I look forward to it and hate it when it's over. I love the stimulating cool, crisp, dry air that brings relief from the heat and humidity of summer, the changing leaf colors, and the smell of decaying leaves.

I also associate it with other things like the local county fairs and the upcoming holiday season (Thanksgiving, Christmas). I love going to the mountains in the fall and getting apple cider, homemade jellies, etc.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    I fell in love in autumn so it has a good feeling for me. My husband took me to an apple orchard where they made fresh cider when we were still dating. Then over the years we would go back to visit, until one year there was a big housing development there instead. :(
  • millie210
    millie210

Another fall lover here!

There is such a feeling of change in the air. A feeling that something momentous is happening.

The earth and its native inhabitants are gearing up for a big slumber.

I have been studying (as a hobby) with a naturalist who does field trips in the countryside and shows us all the plants and roots that can be used for food or to fight winters ails.

It is fascinating to learn how the depth of the roots or the width of the leaves etc, indicate the type of winter that is coming and so on.

I love photography also, so taking my camera and going on one of his hikes and learning while taking pictures is such a relief from work and day to day "stuff".

I gather that spring in the natural world is pretty amazing too but I dont see how it can top NOW! (for me).

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Yes! Last night I hung up lantern string lights that are mini jack o lanterns, and set up our Halloween owl luminaries and pumpkin decorations. In a couple days we will carve our pumpkins and make pumpkin pie. My kids were trying on their costumes last night.

I love it when sudden gusts of wind make a bunch of leaves fall off a tree at once. I love lying on the grass watching the leaves fall around me.

I love every season, actually. I feel like witnesses want to deny seasons! These traditions go back many thousands of years. The ancients were much more familiar with the cycles of life. Celebrating them is perfectly natural. The Hebrews got to do it. Witnesses don't get to do anything!

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Kaik, I love autumn, too.

But, some people don't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Ro__YyTi4

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It's been a beautiful fall where I live, the weather has been perfect. People think we don't have seasons in California, but we do, the days are shorter, the leaves turn color, it's a bit nippy in the morning. After a warmly than usually summer it's nice to have cooler weather, it just about perfect right now.

Halloween is huge in my neighborhood. It has gotten a reputation as the best place to trick or trick, people come here from all over, we got 600 trick or treaters last year, we will spend $60 on candy alone and will probably still run out. We decided to just go with it, so we decorate and wear costumes, last year we did steam punk, this year my husband and I are going to be minions. We just sit our porch and hand out candy all evening, it's so much fun seeing the kids in their costumes.

My husband used to wear a costume I originally made for myself, an over the top flower fairy outfit. After several years of use we retired it, as it was getting worn out and a bit small for both of us, but we have gotten so many requests for it I think I will have to recreate it for next year. It had a huge pink tulle skirt with silk roses inside, a huge floral head piece, a bodice covered in rose with a giant rose in the front, and of course wings. I called it the over fifty fat and flirty flower fairy and it was funny on me, but with my husband's hairy chest and beard and white running shoes it really made people laugh. He even wore it at work, and he works for a very conservative government organization whose name I can't mention. I didn't think he would actually have the guts to do it, but he did and won first place too, beating out Elvis and wonder woman.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Kaik:

I agree with you and love Autumn. I think it's my favorite season.

I love the crisp air, the colorful leaves, apples in season and the great sleeping weather!

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I like all of the seasons for different reasons.

I like the seasons where I live now as the climate is not extreme. At one point in my life I lived in an area that had very warm summers and very cold winters. At another time I lived in a place that had what I believed is described as a Mediterranean climate. I like to see the difference in the seasons. When I was first living in the Mediterranean climate it seemed to be always the same and boring. After a few years I could see the more subtle changes that were not so apparent to me at first.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit