Having trouble with parents staying home?

by Steel 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• Steel
    Steel

My parents are in there late 60s, they have a net worth of 2 to 3 million dollars and a 2500 sq ft home. My dad works a hobby job at a service station for boredom reasons. It’s a kiosk type between glass but it does require some contact with the public.

When the Covid thing hit we talked him into quitting but now he has gone back. I know we don’t have a lot of cases where I live but man, stupid, stupid , stupid .

Anyone else reached that point where they have traded places with there parents?

• Simon
    Simon

People want a purpose in life and to feel needed. Nothing wrong with those things - the world would be better if more people had been brought up with such work ethic.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

My mom delivers MaryKay and she's 74. Never stayed at home. Refuses to wear a mask.

It's keeping her happy and alive despite the bullshit disillusionments she clings onto with the JWs.

Don't doubt or step in the way of superheroes.

• Mum
    Mum

I notice that there are certain types of people who need busy work to feel comfortable and useful. I am not one of them. If I had a lot of money, I would be traveling the world, getting better educated, and working with charities. However, I wouldn't be doing any of these things if I wanted to just hang out on the beach or stay in bed watching a good movie and eating bon bons.

Let me say I envy you if you stand to inherit a substantial portion of that money.

• hoser
    hoser

My parents are in their 80’s and are still running their business. I figure what the hell Whatever keeps them happy. They travelled a bit when they were in their 50’s and 60’s but after 9/11 there was a lot of bullshit involved in travelling internationally and they don’t really socialize a lot so they just keep doing their thing.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Given what you indicated, I'm assuming they're healthy. The risk for catching COVID-19 and dying is extremely low, even amongst the elderly if they're relatively healthy.

The largest deaths (50% or so in NYS) were in nursing homes where people are already frail and sick and after a hospital visit NYS forced them back into the nursing homes to re-infect the rest (less people reduces the state expense on these facilities) as well as to reduce reimbursement costs for Medicaid through the hospitals.

Given your parents did so well for themselves is an indicator that they worked hard, they didn't excess, they probably didn't smoke or drink (at least not much). That is a great predictor to live to 100 even with COVID-19.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit