Halfway House: Assisting Youths that Cannot Afford To Live On Own

by Hadriel 2 Replies latest social family

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

Has anyone considered a halfway house of sorts for youths who really have nowhere to go? I'm not speaking of underage teenagers there's not much you can do there.

I'm speaking of someone that's 18, 19 or early 20's. It's tough to get on your own feet when you have no family support at that age. At least today it is I imagine.

Sort of serious here. I've thought about this for a while. Heard of a few that feel really trapped for this very reason. They need a little financial support and a safe place but have nowhere to go.

I wonder if this could be achieved.

• Simon
    Simon

I think it would be a challenge simply because JWs don't represent a significant proportion of the population. They are spread out thinly so where would such a house best be located to be useful? Are there that many people who would make use of it to justify the expense?

The greatest catchment area would be major concentrated population centres (i.e. major cities) but then they also tend to be the most expensive property-wise and making someone move to a new area could add additional challenges. How long would people stay and expect support? Who would be accepted and who wouldn't? Lots of things to work out.

I also don't think most JW homes could really be described as "unsafe". Yes, some will undoubtedly be unsupportive but it's not like JWs are at threat of "honour killing" and need to flee for their lives.

Fall out with parents, leave home, get a job - it's not that unique an experience.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

Oh it wouldn't be easy at all. I get that. Partly why I pose the question.

Just happen to know of a couple kids that are really stuck. They desperately want out but can't afford it.

No doubt tho it would get really sticky and as you say just a ton to work out. I guess I just feel bad for them

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit