What are the biggest holes in evolution?

by shadow 133 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mephis
    Mephis
    I'd like to know which uncomfortable facts? It doesn't explain the initial origin of life (abiogenesis) and there are plenty of areas which touch on evolution where further knowledge is needed. A lot of our medicines for the future will stem from being able to use evolutionary theory in better ways - whether that's in how diseases change over time and so tailor drugs to work or in how to treat things which arise from our own genetic code. A post-antibiotic world is perhaps the most uncomfortable one imaginable if work in evolutionary theory doesn't keep pace.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Sometimes you just have to outweigh which has more credibility. Whether its the creationists or the evolutionists. I lean toward the latter, even though both belief systems have gaping holes, just have to use logic I guess. Scientific evidence.
  • cofty
    cofty
    even though both belief systems have gaping holes

What gaping holes are there in evolution? Since that is the topic of this thread perhaps you could share?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    I would not call it a 'hole' - that implies a defect in the whole theory - but more like an explanatory gap. Evolution's biggest gap is the evolution of single cell organisms from more primitive forms like basic amino acids. You would probably need to replicate the original evolutionary pathways with sophisticated laboratory experiments.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

probably a poor choice of words on my part, when I said hole.

* Evolution's biggest gap is the evolution of single cell organisms from more primitive forms like basic amino acids.*

What Village Idiot said. I agree with that.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Wouldn't the only "gaping hole" be the origin of all life? I mean, geeze!!! Even if you believe the biblical account of the flood, super-evolution was necessary for the number of species present today!!

Where does the Bible say that "God" did not create life to evolve?

DD

• shadow
    shadow
    There are some other major difficulties that I have in mind but surely they are familiar to the many who have studied the topic in depth
  • Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I don't know enough about evolution to either argue for it or against it. My primary concerns, however, include the following:

1) It seems predicated on the assumption that there is no God, or intelligent designer.

2) The idea that simple organisms can mutate into increasingly complex ones. I'd like to see some evidence this is possible. To think 1-cell organisms can mutate, without a great deal of outside help, into modern humans over a long period of time, is difficult for me to accept.

3) That life and intelligence can evolve from a spontaneous action.

If the Big Bang happened (and I believe it possible), then everything that erupted from it must have been sterile. How can life spring from sterility. Can life and intelligence come from the interactions of electricity on amino acids? I would like to see it. I also would like to see intelligence come from any green slime that might appear.

If evolution can be shown to be consistent with theism, I might be willing to accept it. Nevertheless, I'm also willing to wait until the Lord's coming for answers. "Yea, verily I say unto you, in that day when the Lord shall come, he shall reveal all things—things which have passed, and hidden things which no man knew, things of the earth, by which it was made, and the purpose and the end thereof—things most precious, things that are above, and things that are beneath, things that are in the earth, and upon the earth, and in heaven."

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Every living thing evolved from a common ancestor over millions of years.

That's plenty enough to fill holes. When evolution was theorized, they didn't even know about DNA. The "hole" may be where people who want evolution to be wrong cling to old details of the theory. They break out ON THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES or refer to books/videos/articles that are old.

We are in the infancy of understanding many aspects of our world and our universe. If we keep questioning and accept the facts such as Cofty's assertion above, regardless of what preconceptions we have to discard, we will fill the holes.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Oh, it's every living thing ON THIS PLANET. It could have happened independently elsewhere in the big wide universe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit