INDOCTRINATION (lessons learned)

by Terry 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry
    INDOCTRINATION
    I see things this way ...
    My very first personal contact with indoctrination was through my best friend; hellbent on converting me to his religion. (I was 12.)
    I resisted for four years and then jumped on board.
    A lesson to be learned, I'd say!
    Not the one you'd think, however.
    Resistance is futile.
    Here's why...
    Think what happened when Hannibal challenged the might of Rome and its legions.
    He defeated them time after time. Horrible one-sided victories they were.
    But - take note of this! Each time the Roman Generals lost, they did a big RE-think ... and tried again.
    And they'd lose. Again.
    Rome was not a seafaring empire but they built a fleet of ships just so they could invade Carthage.
    An unlucky storm at sea destroyed all those ships and sailors!
    There was only one winning strategy that might work.
    Rome stopped fighting and retired their remaining forces behind the walls and watched Hannibal and his armies circle and circle hurling challenges on deaf ears.
    What kind of lesson to learn is that, Terry?
    Hannibal was inadvertently forcing Rome's military and political intelligentsia to become smarter, wiser, and more cunning!
    Hannibal, on the other hand, learned nothing by defeating the inferior strategies of Rome's best fighting forces.
    (Eventually, Scipio attacked by land - not Hannibal, but Carthage which was Hannibal's native land! Using Hannibal's own key stratagem, Scipio stationed his army on the high ground.)
    RESISTANCE is futile. You make your adversary stronger and smarter.
    In my own situation, I showed all my weaknesses to my best friend and he simply switched his method of confrontation from Theology to Family.
    The cult he was in offered me a close-knit group of welcoming Brothers and Sisters and Friends.
    I needed that emotionally so badly I jumped on board at a cost of 20 years of my life.
    When I jumped back out, I lost all those "friends" and the "family" wouldn't speak to me again.
    WHO WON?
    I can only say this one thing with all my heart. I got smarter, more skeptical, and more cunning when it came to INDOCTRINATION methods.
    I take a neutral position between the extremes and I listen, watch, research, and keenly analyze what's said and done.
    I stay walled up in the city while the armies outside rage and challenge me to join in or be vanquished.
    Confrontation is not the End Game (as in chess) - no - it is simply THE END - of everything.
    When you join forces with anybody or anything except your own mind and heart and intellect, you weaken yourself and stop learning and growing.
    That's MY lesson. Your mileage may vary.
  • Marcial
    Marcial

Bien analysé .

• LV101
    LV101

Excellent history/life lesson, Terry! TY for great personal share and knowledge -- type more.🧡

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

When a person is convinced that they are trying to save your soul, no tactic is off the table. The possible outcomes are either the greatest possible reward or the greatest possible penalty. If they must take unorthodox -or even underhanded- steps to get you to the reward, it is worth it.

In other words, the indoctrinator must be indoctrinated first. Makes him a very effective recruiter.

Once someone is in, indoctrination takes the simple form of the one thing that proves most effective at shaping our behavior: repetition. Second to that is fear. Cults will endlessly do two things: keep you busy in study and repetition, and making sure you are afraid of straying from that path. The WT publications and videos are not shy about constantly repeating how important it is to be obedient, how close the end is, and what happens to those who are on the wrong side of God's justice at the end (and they can get quite graphic with those descriptions!).

Always read the publications. Always attend the meetings. Always go out in field service. Spend any available time in those pursuits. If you stop to enjoy life for a moment, make sure you are with your brothers in the faith (preferably, those who are upstanding members of the congregation). Do not stray from this path. If you have any questions or doubts, read the publications and/or speak with an elder. Do not seek out answers on your own from any other source.

It's not just that you isolate yourself from non-believing people. You also isolate your mind from non-believing thoughts. Until I realized I was an atheist and therefore not a JW, I was terrified of even thinking about finding non-JW information, much less seeking out anti-JW information. That is indoctrination.

• Terry
    Terry

I'd venture to guess MOST conversions take place due to friendships rather than cold calls.
    Being "born in" doesn't count as a conversion (although at age of consent - the fight begins).

NOTICE THE IMPRESSION from an OUTSIDER is not at all favorable in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhrMOHv06Uw

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit