Debating With Evolution Deniers is Just Like This

by cofty 218 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DJS
    DJS

Defending deep? So that's what you call refusing to actually engage in the competition. The flailing, falling, fooling, fouling, feigning and fainting kinda sorta go hand in hand with 'defending deep.' Plant a bunch of pudgies in front of the goal and hope for enough penalty kicks to win or tie.

I went to see Suicide Squad last week. The reviews had been very negative, but I figured for summertime escapism why not. It was horrid. Truly horrid. (But I did get a new moniker for Jesus - Daddy's Lil' Monster).

And the annoying thing is that they had a cool premise and a gorgeous interesting cast. Will Smith, Margo Robbie (YUM), Jared Leto (YUM, I mean, Mr. Leto is a very nice looking young man), et al.

I left the theatre thinking to myself that there was a great movie in those 2 hours of messed up nonsense. They just didn't make it.

That's exactly how I feel after every soccer match I've ever watched.

• Simon
    Simon

No one, with any decent education, ever weighs up all the evidence and says "I've decided to believe in God"

Belief in a religious explanation is normally pre-supplied by parents while someone is an infant. The fact that someone who believes in god will, 99 times out of 100, believe in the exact same god as their parents shows that's its little to do with enlightenment and everything to do with indoctrination.

The idea that they came to the choice through deep learning and study is just another lie they fill their heads with.

BTW: studies have shown that people get the same enjoyment from supporting a team whether they are super-successful or not. The outcomes change but many of the feelings are the dame.That's why teams with little success can have great support for years.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Simon I think what ever football team we support, we do so because we are supporters and become friends with fellow supporters, and for some reason our football club becomes the most important thing in our life. Like a Kingdom Hall to a witness, so is my Waford club to me, and the failures of my football team will never equal the disappointment nor the failures of my Kingdom Hall

: Watford f.c 3 Watford Kingdom Hall 0.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Simon: BTW: studies have shown that people get the same enjoyment from supporting a team whether they are super-successful or not. The outcomes change but many of the feelings are the dame.That's why teams with little success can have great support for years

True dat

Our city turns green on every Saskatchewan Roughrider game day

It's an emotional connection, not a rational one.

It is hilarious that immediately after Cofty posted the OP article, an emotionally-connected-to-god person comes on and does exactly what the article was illustrating! Hilarious.

The creationist's position of saying "evolution cannot be true because you don't know what caused it" is as stupid as going to a doctor with a rash, and then, when he gives you a diagnosis based on tests, observations and his accumulated knowledge about skin disorders, you say..."What caused this ugly rash all over my face?". Doc replies, "Medical science doesn't know what causes this rash". You say, "Well, then, you are wrong. I don't have a rash. You can't tell me what caused it so I don't have it."

Poof! The rash is gone. No cause so therefore...no rash.

I guess you could call that faith diagnosing...and faith healing. The condition magically disappears because the doctor doesn't know what caused it.

The problem is...when you go home and look in the mirror, your face is still red and ugly

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Orphan Crow your opinion is slanted. You and your fellow evolutionists are on the same level as religionists. Evolution is nothing more than a religion, and a worthless one at that. A lot of faith is involved. How did life start? No, you don't know. How did life develop? No, you don't know. Religionists don't know all the facts either. They need to put faith in what they believe. The reasoning, that the original DNA of one-celled organisms, through mutation, would change to bring forth complex life forms, is enough to boggle the mind. Now, you need a lot of faith to believe that. I demonstrate it with a picture to make it more understandable:

From fish to man and back to fish. To believe this, borders on gullibility. Okay, there's some truth in the final stage of development. Man excells in producing garbage. But go for it and do teach it to your children. See how they turn out.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I know Cofty that it must be wearisome to you to debate with Evolution/science deniers, but please continue to do so.

It was a word from a Poster on here way back, the estimable Caedes, which made me look at the evidence properly, and helped me down the road to freedom much quicker than otherwise.

You cannot know the good your Posts do, but I am sure there are many who will come to appreciate them.

Keep up the good work !

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

What was it that was said that got you thinking Phizzy?

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks Phizzy.

Vidqun. You perfectly illustrate the point of the OP. By the way I have shared my knowledge of evolution with both my children and they have turned out fantastic thanks.

On a previous thread you claimed to be a retired professional scientist with a wide range of qualifications. Its a puzzle that you seem to have forgotten absolutely everything.

• DJS
    DJS

@Vidqun, ". . . teach it to your children. See how they turn out."

From a 2005 study, “Cross-National Correlations of Quantifiable Societal Health with Popular Religiosity and Secularism in the Prosperous Democracies"

"There is evidence that within the U.S. strong disparities in religious belief versus acceptance of evolution are correlated with similarly varying rates of societal dysfunction, the strongly theistic, anti-evolution south and mid-west having markedly worse homicide, mortality, STD, youth pregnancy, marital and related problems than the northeast where societal conditions, secularization, and acceptance of evolution approach European norms."

"Indeed, the data examined in this study demonstrates that only the more secular, pro-evolution democracies have, for the first time in history, come closest to achieving practical “cultures of life” that feature low rates of lethal crime, juvenile-adult mortality, sex related dysfunction, and even abortion. The least theistic secular developed democracies such as Japan, France, and Scandinavia have been most successful in these regards. The non-religious, pro-evolution democracies contradict the dictum that a society cannot enjoy good conditions unless most citizens ardently believe in a moral creator.

The widely held fear that a Godless citizenry must experience societal disaster is therefore refuted. Contradicting these conclusions requires demonstrating a positive link between theism and societal conditions in the first world with a similarly large body of data – a doubtful possibility in view of the observable trends."

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Daddy, where do I come from? Originally from a one-celled organism, later a tadpole, then a monkey. All of these are your ancestors. You are on top of the food chain. Make sure you stay there. Be what you want, do what you want, just don't get caught. Yes, I can see that working. Good luck with that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit