Debating With Evolution Deniers is Just Like This

by cofty 218 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I am fairly certain you are making an error with this logical leap.

Scientist needs to decipher and isolate DNA and gene sequences with algorithms, meaning DNA was constructed by means of algorithms.
  • Vidqun
    Vidqun

Any other suggestions? Yes, I know, it occurred by accident many millions of years ago. The process kept on improving itself, migrating from one-celled organisms to multi-celled organisms. Don't worry about it. Asked and answered.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5
    Yes, I know, it occurred by accident many millions of years ago. The process kept on improving itself, migrating from one-celled organisms to multi-celled organisms.

You're getting warmer.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Yes, that would be a form of spontaneous generation, an absolute miracle!

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

The George Wald quote is from a Scientific American article in 1954. I can't locate a free copy of the article on the internet, but there are at least 2 people who apparently have read it ans say the quote is out of context. Here is one:

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/creation/quote_wald.html

Vid - Scientist needs to decipher and isolate DNA and gene sequences with algorithms, meaning DNA was constructed by means of algorithms.

That is like saying "Scientists need microscopes to view bacteria, meaning bacteria are created with microscopes."

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5
    "Scientists need microscopes to view bacteria, meaning bacteria are created with microscopes."

Thanks for the best quote so far.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Damnit, who knew it was so simple, bacteria were created with microscopes! I'm going to inform the masses of ignorant fools who think otherwise!

(The link in the OP is exactly how it goes on all the threads i've read on this forum btw.)

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

This is the direction of Genomic studies. Take note, scientists are studying DNA coding and repair, describing its functionality quantitatively and algorithmically. They apply the principles and methods of information theory and coding theory.

Is a Genome a Codeword of an Error-Correcting Code?

Since a genome is a discrete sequence, the elements of which belong to a set of four letters, the question as to whether or not there is an error-correcting code underlying DNA sequences is unavoidable. The most common approach to answering this question is to propose a methodology to verify the existence of such a code. However, none of the methodologies proposed so far, although quite clever, has achieved that goal. In a recent work, we showed that DNA sequences can be identified as codewords in a class of cyclic error-correcting codes known as Hamming codes. In this paper, we show that a complete intron-exon gene, and even a plasmid genome, can be identified as a Hamming code codeword as well. Although this does not constitute a definitive proof that there is an error-correcting code underlying DNA sequences, it is the first evidence in this direction.

Citation: Faria LCB, Rocha ASL, Kleinschmidt JH, Silva-Filho MC, Bim E, Herai RH, et al. (2012) Is a Genome a Codeword of an Error-Correcting Code? PLoS ONE 7(5): e36644. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0036644

Error correction algorithms for DNA repair

Maintaining integrity of genetic material is achieved through DNA repair, a process in the cell in which damage are continually monitored and corrected. In many organisms the genes and proteins that participate in this process have been identified, but with a few exceptions the role of many of them is given only descriptively. Understanding the role of genetic and protein interactions during DNA-repair and its mathematical formulation is obscured not only by the limitations of the existing experimental methods, but also by deficiencies of their underlying theoretical frameworks or lack of thereof.

In this project we study an information theoretical framework for and of DNA repair which views it as an error correction system. We are applying the principles and methods of information theory and coding theory to incorporate phenomena observed on different levels of abstraction of the genomic error correction system. This method for rigorous treatment of DNA-repair enables describing its functionality quantitatively and algorithmically.

Prof. Bane Vasic

Vida Ravanmher

Prof. David Gilbraith

Prof. Michael Marcellin

“The model encompasses the different structures of the error correction system and interactions not only among its different levels but also among other sub-systems in the cell. In order to understand such a complex system, specialized repair mechanisms, which have been the primary object of research in the past, must be considered in the context of the global error correction machinery. The proposed framework for rigorous treatment of DNA-repair enables describing its functionality quantitatively and algorithmically.”

“Error-correction coding theory of DNA repair,” Bane Vasic, David W. Galbraith, Shashi Kiran Chilappagari and Michael W. Marcellin.

Here are some of the potential benefits of such studies. Cofty, you might find these interesting:

Abstract: All cancers are caused by errors (mutations) in the DNA sequence that cannot be detected or corrected by the body’s repair mechanisms. A similar problem is faced in telecommunications when sequences of information are transmitted over a noisy channel, introducing multiple random errors. To overcome this problem, redundant bits are added to each sequence before transmission which will help correct the errors later in the receiver. This is called “Error Correction Coding” (ECC), a well-established area in communications which started in 1948 and has been perfected over time. There are immense functional similarities between the body cell’s error correction mechanisms and the error correction techniques used in telecommunications. This research exploits these similarities and combines statistical methods with the powerful toolbox of algebraic error control coding to understand and then improve the body’s repair mechanisms which hold the key to treating cancer and other genetic diseases. The three components of algebraic error correction are the encoder, channel, and decoder. Similarly, genetic encoder, channel, and decoder are defined in this proposal. A probabilistic model is first derived for the genetic channel through applying statistical inference to the available data of DNA mutations across the spectrum of human cancer types. Then the genetic decoder which is in charge of correcting the DNA errors is analyzed. In this approach, the decoder is divided into two components: “DNA repair mechanisms” and the “gene interactions network” which activates such mechanisms. Two very effective analytical tools are borrowed from coding theory, namely message passing and density evolution, and applied to study the global and local error correction mechanisms in the cells. The two tasks above provide the fundamental knowledge of how error correction is carried out in the cells. Given this knowledge, a systematic approach is proposed to use genome editing techniques more effectively. Particularly, target genes are identified in cancer cells to be knocked out of the DNA for the purpose of making the cells vulnerable to a particular drug.

Project Title: Error Correction for the Code of Life in A New Era of Genome Editing

Partnering Institutions and Investigators: Wichita State University, Ali Eslami (PI)

Funding Agency: Flossie E. West Memorial Foundation

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Blah blah blah, I am determined to cling to my biases, blah blah blah blah, i will not allow facts to influence me, blah blah blah blah, I will cling to my cherished beliefs, blah blah blah blah, I will not bend or alter and facts mean nothing to me.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun
    2+2=5 I am fairly certain you are making an error with this logical leap.

Take note, scientists are studying DNA coding and repair, describing its functionality quantitatively and algorithmically. They apply the principles and methods of information theory and coding theory. The scientist are using these methods because the DNA information system consists of such basic elements.

What can I say, Witness My Fury, yes, I know, the truth hurts. Conclusion: If one clings to idiocy, then you become an idiot. You can quote me on that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit