Do Jehovah's Witnesses "target" non-Witnesses they want to convert?

by john.prestor 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

I took a break from posting, but I'm back, and I wanted to share a story.

I grew up in a fundamentalist Baptist church, I was never "one of Jehovah's Witnesses." What I know about Jehovah's Witnesses I learned from books, from attending services as a researcher, and from ex-Witnesses like the posters of this site. I know a lot, but I don't know everything. That's why I want to share this.

About a month and a half ago, I went through a difficult day at the hands of the professors in my department (too long of a story to share). I feared that word of this spread in my community, but I couldn't tell for certain, and still can't. Within the next three days, I ran into Jehovah's Witnesses I knew twice, once on the street by a cart, and once at a bus stop. By the cart, the Jehovah's Witness pointed out the cart and said, "There's those people out Jehovah's Witnessing." I said, "You're one of Jehovah's Witnesses, what do you mean?" She told me, letting her sentence drop off, "They're handing out literature, so if you want to take something," and then she walked away. I felt like she commanded me to take a magazine without saying it directly. I know that approach isn't typical for them: that they're told not to approach people when they "cart witness."

A few days later, I called for an uber to take a hike. The uber driver moved an Awake! magazine from the front seat to the back when I got in. He knew things about me and told me them, such as that I struggle at times with mental health, and he tried to make me feel better. He didn't talk about Jehovah, didn't give me the magazine, but I found it strange that he knew those things because I didn't know him. I visited the closest congregation for two Memorials. He could have seen me there, who knows? But although he did make me feel better, I felt... monitored.

About a month passed. Two days ago, I got a text from a Jehovah's Witness I knew at the third congregation I studied. He doesn't text me almost at all anymore (used to, two years ago). Today, I got a call from the small town where the first congregation meets. They didn't leave a message, but I backtraced the number. I know no one in that town but Jehovah's Witnesses with who I haven't spoke in years.

Does any of this make any other poster uncomfortable, or is it just me? Be honest, I need perspective on this. I can jump to conclusions at times.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

The short answer is yes,since you have been to meetings and divulged information about yourself a zealous witness who thinks you might be a sheep would in all likelihood share this information with others if your not in their immediate area .

Its nothing to get paranoid about though ,its like in the old days when they kept house to house records taking notes about the HH they called upon and would share it with others who the HH might respond to.

Nothing to get your knickers in a knot over.

The whole purpose of there witnessing is not to just distribute Bible knowledge / literature as they claim but to gain converts.

I hope this helps jp

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

JW salvation depends on the compulsory recruitment programme.

You seem to be back in their cross-hairs. They'll forget all about you if you start asking about the org's "inconvenient truths." Or simply tell them to sod off and leave you alone!

Knowledge frightens them far more, though.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

It is typical recruitment tactics. Nothing suspicious about it at all.

Your information was likely shared as you are viewed as a great candidate (your previous Memorial attendance, studying, etc,)

Grow a goatee (if you're in the U.S.) and stop attending and they'll leave you alone.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Thank you for this information, you've put my mind at ease.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    john.prestor - "Do Jehovah's Witnesses 'target' non-Witnesses they want to convert?"

Usually just the vulnerable.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

I'm pretty vulnerable. Vulnerable enough to join up? Never. But I don't know if they know that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit