"But WHY??"

by stuckinarut2 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

A Thought struck me.

As young children we were known for often asking the question "but why?" to anything and everything that we were told and presented with in life. (sometimes that would annoy adults, true)

Even the bible tells us to "use our perceptive powers" and to "keep on asking" and to "keep testing the inspired expressions" etc in many places...

But why is it as adults, we get to a point where we think we no longer need to question facts and information presented to us?

Why is it that when presented with hard to believe or hard to accept ideas or teachings, do witnesses just believe it? Where is that child-like quality (that Jesus encouraged) when it comes to things the society presents?

Sure, if it makes sense, accept it, believe it, even promote it...but if it does not make sense, question it.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I highly recommend watching this

https://youtu.be/RlbUw5hjeKI

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes theramintrees have some great videos!

Thanks for posting

• cofty
    cofty

Every parent knows that eventually the answer to "why" is "go to bed".

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Because JWs are brain dead zombies who have given up their power of reason in exchange for loyalty to a bunch of Moses wannabes in NY.

JWs believe they can't think for themselves because the WT has told them they can't.

Because cults create a thinking free zone - very successfully.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Sparrowdown: Agree. Samuel Johnson "Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics

of a vigorous intellect". This process stop when you become a JW, all the anserws are in the Bible.

• Crabby
    Crabby

JW's are not allowed to ask why, in fact they are not allowed to think it. If they do they are executed from the Cult.

Can you imagine a World where Thomas Edison never ask why?

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

As a JW I was always told I "thought to much" and that I was "overthinking things" and that it was ok to have questions but that they were a waste of time as we already had the answers and faith in the GB was the only important thing.

NEVER since leaving has anyone said I over thought or asked too many questions and that's despite 10yrs of academia. The very opposite is the way to get answers.

The JW's offer a lazy life solution, do as they say, do what they say, do it when they say it... and in exchange they will do all the thinking for you, In reality this is what ended my JW life as this just wasn't good enough for me. 11 window cleaners in Brooklyn really didn't know better,

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

None of us a JW but my kids loved that WHY word and I either found the answer. Finally they got to the age "research it".

But in the parting email from the "Elder" he said you research Everything and Fight Everything. You do not take anyone's word on any topic.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes, it's wonderful that nowadays young ones are taught in schools to use "critical thinking" skills to ask "why" of any topics.....yet sadly as time goes on, witnesses are told more and more to ask less and less.....

So in effect, as the world encourages people to research more and become more well rounded, witnesses are told to become the very opposite!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit