What's going on with Emma Raducanu?

by LoveUniHateExams 3 Replies latest social entertainment

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

So, Emma Raducanu was knocked out of Wimbledon yesterday.

She won her first round match, and lost in the second round.

I wasn't expecting her to win the whole tournament, but I did kinda hope she would make it through the first week.

So, what's going on with her?

Is she not fully fit?

Or maybe her body is not yet ready for the full pro circuit? - TBH, I smell bullshit with this point. Her body was just fine with having to win an extra 3 matches at the US Open, then she went on to win the whole thing. Tennis is not a contact sport, we're not talking the dangers of amateur boxers turning pro, here.

So, injury problems aside, there could be something wrong with her set-up. She was way too quick to ditch the coach who helped her win last year's US Open, in my view.

She should have stuck with that guy until the partnership reached its logical conclusion. Changing coaches willy nilly is not a good idea, let's be honest.

I like Raducanu, she's from my hometown (Bromley). She went to Newstead Wood Girls' Grammar School, which literally backs onto the housing estate I grew up in. When I was a kid, me and my mates used to sneak onto Newstead Wood's tennis courts to play tennis, and onto the school's artificial hockey courts to play football.

Emma and I are both Tottenham Hotspur fans*, so that's something else we both have in common.

I want her to do well, but it seems there are still a few wrinkles that she needs to iron out, and iron out soon.

A talent such as hers is criminal to waste.

*Tennis star Emma Raducanu wears Tottenham jersey in practice: 'Hopefully we  both pick up some trophies now!'

• Simon
    Simon

She's young, she's had a recent injury (I think it is tough, even if it isn't a contact sport) and let's not forget she's British so probably has more weight of expectation and pressure on her now, and especially at Winbledon, than when she won the US seemingly out-of-the-blue.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Just 19 years old still, a good Athlete too, but winning at the top level consistently will only come in future years.

Every Match, and especially the losses, is something to be learned from. Many eventual top stars took a few years after winning a big event, to do their "Apprenticeship" and then be able to win and stay at the top level.

She seems to be committed to sticking to Tennis, though other career moves have been offered. She recently dropped sponsorship from some sources, to concentrate on her game.

I am sure that with the right team around her, putting in the work, and being determined to win, she will do well, and have a long and illustrious career in Tennis,

• Freemail
    Freemail

One trick pony who has been found out. She’ll never win another tournament.

I was pleased her and whining Murray both lost tbh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit